Problems after making a disk copy

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Richard T, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard T

Richard T Guest

I have used Disk Director to create a copy of my existing C: drive onto a new HDD, which I then made an active partition. However, when I reconnect the new drive as the master and disconnect the old drive, on rebooting the system gets to the Windows logo screen after the OSloader has completed, and then hangs. It should give the message 'Windows starting up', but it just shows the logo with the blue screen as background.

Can you help please?

2. Richard T

Richard T Guest

Further clarification -- I am using Windows XP.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Richard T,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

When you copy the partition with operating system on it the copied operating system may become unbootable. The reason is that only the data is being copied while the MBR is not.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Richard T

Richard T Guest

Does this mean I cannot make a bootable copy of my hard drive? This was the reason I pursched disk director.

5. Acronis Support

Hello Richard,

Sometimes it is possible to make the copied partition bootable even if it wasn't right after the copying. Could you please tell where you had the paging file before copying? Did you have it at the same partition?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Richard T

Richard T Guest

Yes, I had the paging file in the same partition. Thanks for your help.
    Richard.

7. Richard T

Richard T Guest

Just to clarify, are you suggesting I should move the paging file to another partition, and then try recopying the partition with the operating system in it?

8. Acronis Support

Hello Richard,

Please try to move the paging file to another partition, reboot the computer and then perform the copying. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.