Problematic Files

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by dallen, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I recently downloaded a rather large folder using bit torrent. This folder contained other folders each itself containing various .mp3, .pdf, and .txt files. Being my usual suspicious self, I thoroughly scanned everything. BitDefender 10 turned up nothing, however, SpySweeper identified the following:

1 Threat – potentially rootkit-masked files
    6 Traces – two .mp3, two .pdf, and two .txt files were listed

The interesting thing is that neither Blacklight, nor Rootkit Revealer flagged anything on my system. Also, I scanned my entire system for ADS and turned up nothing. When I try to open one of the suspect .txt files, it tells me that access is denied. I cannot look at the properties of the file because for some reason that option is not available when I right-click on those particular files. Also, I wanted to contain the suspect files within a compressed file, so I tried to zip the folders that contain those files using WinRAR and that seemed to work fine. That was until I unzipped the folder. Everything was there except the suspicious file.

I’m not too worried because I do all of this type of stuff on my laptop and there is nothing on my laptop that is confidential or worth stealing. At this point I just want to know what is going on. Any suggestions?

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Problematic files, problematic questions, problematic answers:

without these suspicious files it would be just guessing what it could be;)

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sounds very strange. By just following the symptoms you described, regardless of the possible malware threat, I would still shift-det that folder. I don't like files that won't open when I command them.
    Mrk

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Mrk,
    I agree with your categorization of strange. Also, I don't like it myself. Please tell me what you mean by "shift-det" that folder.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's a typo - shift-del I meant. Trash it. Redownload it. Try an alternative source.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.