problem with windows firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by convent, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convent

convent Registered Member

Hi guys .
    Hi guys I have a problem with windows firewall cant enable it also the same with windows update .when i try to get in to safe mode i cant boot into it as well.I did a scan with hijack this but it has not picked anything up.Spybot picked up a few problem but it can not fix them.I did a scan with nod32 but it is al clear .I know something is stopping me from enabling the firewall and the updates.Maybe you might know off a program i can run that can delete the spyware.
    Thanks
    David

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

May i suggest running "autoruns" by sysinternals-microsoft, load it and look at everything not MS related, if used correctly it may disable whats preventing your system from booting on safe mode

oldmx

3. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

What other security apps do you run? I know that the settings in certain security apps disable the Windows update feature, so that may be the result of one of those rather than spyware. I know that it happened to me until I discovered what the problem was. However, I don't like to use the automatic update, but would rather do it manually anyway. As far as the firewall, not sure on that, but it could either be spyware related or security-app related. Also, I would definitely use something other than Spybot to search for malware. Spybot is far behind some of the others. A couple of free ones are AVG Antispyware and SuperAntispyware, either of which is much better than Spybot. Another option is some of the online scanners, although with most of them ActiveX is required. At any rate, I would do some full scans, as one of the other apps might pick up something NOD32 didn't (as I have experienced, having used NOD32 for some time).

4. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Just a thought...Have you disabled any Windows services recently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.