Problem With VMWare Tools

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chinook9, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

On my last computer I installed and used VMWare Player 3 without a hitch. I just installed it on my new machine and I cannot get VMWare tools to download.

I click on the "Install VMWare Tools and, after half a minute of trying to connect with the update server, I get a "The update server could not be found. Check your Internet settings or contact your system administrator." error message.

I did many searches but all I can find are workarounds involving downloading VMWare Workstation and getting the tools out of the download. I'm not sure I know enough to make that work.

Anyone know what the problem could be here. I can surf the web on the guest OS so I know I have internet connectivity. I don't know why it cannot connect to the server to download the tools. I tried it in three guest OS (SP, Linux Mint, and Opensuse) and same error message on all three.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would rather get VMWare Player to work than try VirtualBox which I have used before.

NOTE: My OS is Windows XP. Also, the internet connection when surfing in the Guest OSs is really slow.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi chinook9,

Do you have vm tools configured to update auto at next power on?

3. chinook9

It was set to default, which is manual. I set it to Auto and rebooted but still no success.

4. chinook9

Well, I figured a way to get VMWare Tools installed. For anyone who is interested I will describe what I did.

I downloaded VMWare Workstation, copied it to a duplicate XP guest I set up just for this purpose, (couldn't download into the virtual XP because I have internet problems) and installed it in the XP guest.

In the XP guest, I copied the iso files from Program Files>VMWare>VMWare Workstation. The Tools files are freebsd.iso, linux.iso, netware.iso, solaris.iso, windows.iso, and winPre2k.iso.

Once you have the iso files, VMWare Tools can be installed by installing the appropriate iso in the guest OS. In my case, I needed WMWare Tools in my "Master" XP guest so I burned a CD and installed from the CD. It worked like a charm.

Now I just have to figure out the internet access problem in the XP guest.....VirtualBox is not installed yet, but it is sitting on my Desktop waiting in the event I get too frustrated with VMWare Player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.