problem with spywareblaster and Hotmail

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jayt, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Don't really understand it, but earlier tonight when I would check Hotmail, there were a lot of red x's where delete, empty, etc. should have been. The only way I could fix it was to uninstall Spywareblaster. That cleared up the problem in Hotmail. I then re-installed Spywareblaster (hey I like the program) and now the problem seems to have gone away. Any explanations of this? (btw I had all options, i.e, IE, Firefox, and restricted sites blocked.)

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi jayt,

I just checked my Hotmail (using IE) and I noticed they've made a few changes again since the last time I checked; maybe you caught them while the changes were being made? Unless it was a setting in your IE browser - Hotmail does seem to like everything set to IE's default settings and all cookies allowed, just like most of Microsoft's sites.

I have all SpywareBlaster's protection enabled and have never needed to disable it to go to Hotmail, and everything loads fine. Do you have any other anti-spyware apps installed, or possibly a feature in your anti-virus app could have interfered?

snap

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

No advert blockers in place?

Jimbob

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I am using Nod32 (latest version), AdAware Se, Spybot, and Ewido plus. The problem only started yesterday. I thought I had it fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling spywareblaster, but obviously not. So I have uninstalled it again, and Hotmail is working as it should. Maybe it was something in the latest update file?
    (Oh, and I am using Kerio firewall behind a router for dsl service).

5. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

if your using a router, basically the router is your firewall. and with another firewall on top of that, well, it might be causing a conflict.

6. snapdragin

humm... We have almost the same setup, jayt. NOD's IMON is enabled here and I've also got AdAware's AdWatch enabled, along with Sygate firewall behind a router too. Also have IE-Spyad installed...everything up-todate, and with IE SP1 all updates installed.

The only differences at the moment seem to be Ewido and Spybot S&D.

Do you have Spybot's TeaTimer active? I wonder if some setting in those two apps could be causing the problem?

7. snapdragin

Hi scott, :) The software firewall shouldn't be causing any conflicts with the router....it would in fact stay pretty quiet and just alert on outgoing since the router would be stopping unsolicited incoming. So I don't believe that would be causing jayt's problem with loading Hotmail's pages fully.

It's got to be something else interfering...some setting in one of the other apps, or possibly IE.

8. snapdragin

Well, I just realized I didn't have the last update for SpywareBlaster, so I updated it and the following 5 items are added:

ISTBar Variant - {771A1334-6B08-4A6B-AEDC-CF994BA2CEBE}
    Xlocator /WinLocator Adware - {7CF1A5D0-2AE3-47FD-9876-E6A9D8FCB772}
    n-Lite - {E66A5764-212B-40EC-8FB8-16949F6A82CD}
    Spyware.DigitalNames - {EED125B3-3BE7-49DE-B3C1-CDA0E4B76958}
    MakeMeSearch Hijacker (6) - {9EAC0102-5E61-2312-BC2D-76746C56544C}

Then went back to check Hotmail to see if everything would load normally and it does. So it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the last items added in the update. I'm still suspicious it's another app that's interfering somehow, and not SpywareBlaster, though I don't know why the problem seems to go away when you uninstall SpywareBlaster.

jayt, you really don't have to totally uninstall the SpywareBlaster program to check to see if it's the problem. All you have to do is disable the protection by clicking on the "Disable ALL Protection" link under the Quick Task section. Then check Hotmail. Then try it again with all protection enabled.

9. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Stupid computers. :p I just re-downloaded and re-installed Spywareblaster. Now everything is working fine with Hotmail. Wonder how long this will last? :rolleyes:

10. scott lang

well snapdragin, i jus was throwing it out there cuz id heard from a show i watched on tv that the router was considered a firewall and that if you also had a software one running it can cause probs, sometimes. it was jus a idea to check on, wasnt sayin that was it. but i guess judging from he said last it musta been blasternot being updated.

11. snapdragin

scott lang, all suggestions are always welcomed when the cause of the problem is unknown, and there is always a chance of conflict with any app or hardware configuration. So it is definitely a good idea to check all configurations when trouble-shooting. ;)

Thank you for your contributions, they are always appreciated.

Regards,

snap

12. scott lang

thanks snapdragin. i try to help when i can. you guys help me so i try to do what i can to return the favor.

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Jimbob....I've removed your post as it was off-topic to the discussion in this thread.

14. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Hey people. I just re-read my last post. It can seem a bit sarcastic. It wasn't meant that way. It was meant to be a bit ironic I suppose. Anyway, I just wanted to say "thank you" to all those who responded with help to my problem. I really appreciate Wilders Forums. I have received much help here (especially in the Nod32 Forum). Anyway, thanks again. Things are still going fine with Spywareblaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.