Problem with Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gwingee, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwingee

gwingee Registered Member

For the last few days now in the restricted sites it keeps coming up 294 have protection disabled. The IE and Mozilla are fine. I click to enable all protection and it goes to 32 then I click again..goes to 28 etc etc. There have been NO updates in a long time. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall, but I am still having the same problem. Does anyone know what is the problem and how I can resolve ito_O? thank you much....:eek:

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

could u please list your other security apps?

Also, are u saying u haven't been able to update SWB?

snowbound

3. gwingee

Sorry, I have Windows XP, Ad Aware, Trend Micro and Ewido.
    Have used all programs for almost a year with no problems. Again, this morning when I logged on, I checked Spyware Blaster FIRST and again 294..the magic
    number I guess is saying unprotected. Yes, I have not had an update in ages for SB and I click every night on updates to see if there is a new one. When I look in the restricted sites to see what is unchecked it is ALL coolwebsearch ..I dont know what that is. There is my first computer..HP, broadband connection and I am still not sure of all of the lingo and the systems etc.

4. snowbound

Just to confirm, u are not using a program called Spysweeper?

coolwebsearch is a hijacker. As to the updating problem, when was the last successful one and when u attempt it now is there any error messages or alike?

snowbound

5. gwingee

No I do not have spysweeper...
    when I click on update, it just says there are no updates available..no error msg.
    if coolwebsearch is a hijacker, what do I need to do??

6. snowbound

Usually when items start to become unchecked it's due to another security app and some kind of overlap but with what u have installed i'm not sure that's the case.

What is the date of the last SWB database update u got?

Did u install anything just prior to this happening or have u noticed any suspicious behavior at all on your system? Have u done any scans with Ewido or Trend Micro?

snowbound

7. gwingee

The last update was about a month ago I believe. I have not installed anything lately at all. I scan every night with adaware, trend micro and ewido as well as spyware blaster...

8. snowbound

Could u open up your SWB interface and post the exact date shown of the last update please?

I'm not sure what u mean by this. There is no scan feature in SWB as it's not a running application.

Did u notice if the problem started right after updating or scanning with any of your other security apps?

snowbound

9. gwingee

Where do I find the date for the last update I goto_O

I meant every night before I shut down the computer...I do scans with Ewido, Trend micro and Ad aware..and then I just also check the spyware blaster to be sure all the protection is enabled. I did not notice, I am sorry, if it was before or after I did the scans with the other programs.....I also once a week scan with Mcafee virus

10. snowbound

Where the arrow is in the screenshot.

Attached Files:

11. gwingee

ok...it says exactly that...11/20/06
    right now everything is still protected...
    how do I figure out why it keeps going to 294 unprotected in the restricted siteso_O?

12. snowbound

Ok good, you're updated to the most recent then.

I'm stumped as to why those restricted sites are becoming unprotected, as it's usually a conflict between programs like Spysweeper, IESpyad or even somtimes Spybot S&D but u don't have any of them installed.

Just to confirm, these sites uncheck themselves only on reboot or does it happen after u scan or update one of your other security apps?

snowbound

13. gwingee

I just got online and I just checked after I read what you wrote and again 294 unprotected. I did not scan or update anything...soooo...now what? I dont know what to do?

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you listed ALL of your Security\Privacy software....no McAfee, AOL Security, Zone Alarm firewall....etc ?

I would suggest temporarily disabling Trend Micro from starting in the back-ground when your PC boots. If you do not know how....post what exact product of Trend Micro you are using Please.

Bubba

15. gwingee

Hi Bubba

What I have is Mcafee virus, Spyware blaster, Ad Aware, Ewido and Trend Micro 4.41
    also, Mcafee is the firewall. I have had all of this for months and months without any problem before. How do I check what starts on start up? I do not think I have Trend micro at start up..I just checked I do not have it set to scan or delete history on start up..that is off.

16. flagrant2004

flagrant2004 Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

I did read all the problems of gwingee and I recognize my daughter and son do have the same problems. They use Bitfender V10 antivirus,antispy and antispam, spyware Guard, Ad-aware. They recently had a hijacking problem on their pc (when using msn live I couldn't open internet explorer afterwards). I am using bitfender V9, spyware blaster, spyware guard, ad-aware and don't have those problems. However when closing my PC there is a message on screen 'closing Qcbctrl.exe' and afterwards 'can not find qcbctrl.exe' 'end now?'. Is there a possibility to resolve these problemso_O
    regards

I discovered that 'qcbctrl must be 'QLBCTRL.exe'. (quick launche buttons - of HP). I suspect the program isn't working anymore since downloading spyware guard. Can it be resolved?

regards

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While this comment does not mean Mcafee is the problem....We have had previous threads whereby it was found that McAfee does interfere with actions Spywareblaster(SB) attempts to make.

Having said that....I'll ask that you open SB....select the Restricted Sites tab to the right of the Status tab....un-check the Restrict the actions.... and note the action of the green progress indicator. Place a check mark next to the Restrict the actions.... and then select Protect Against Checked items and note the action of the green progress indicator. Does the green progress indicator move smoothly left to right in about 2\3 seconds when you un-checked and then re-checked the protection ?

I am not familar with the operation of Trend Micro 4.41 but the symptons you describe are usually associated with other installed programs preventing SB from enabling it's protection as snowbound alluded to earlier.

Bubba

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello flagrant2004,

In my opinion there is not enough information to go on concerning your problem but what info you have given leads me to believe it's not a Spywareblaster problem. I'll ask that We keep your problem separate from this thread and request you start a thread concerning your problem in our software & services forum Please.

Before starting the new thread....Please doublecheck the spelling of qcbctrl.exe since a google search turns up nothing for qcbctrl.exe or qcbctrl.

Thanks,
    Bubba

19. gwingee

Bubba,

I did what you said and doing both the green indicator both times went from left to right in 2 seconds.

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind taking a look at the below registry location and see if there any URL entries Please. If you have never done that go to....Start button\Run and type regedit in the Open: box then select Ok. With the registry editor open....select the + sign next to the words listed below until you get to the word Domains.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

21. gwingee

bubba

in domains..there is msn.com
    Did the update and still getting the 294 unprotected

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  22. luther13z

luther13z Registered Member

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING ALONG AND SINCE DOWNLOADING SOMETHING FROM LIMEWIRE ( MY BAD) I WAS INFECTED WITH MIRAR . I THOUGHT I GOT IT WITH ADAWRE AND OTHERS BUT APPARENTLY NOT . WHEN I FOLLOW THE LEADS TO REGEDIT I FOUND IT THERE (GETMIRAR.COM - MIRARSEARCH.COM-AND NET-NUCLEUS.COM ) . WHAT SHOULD I DO .:cool: AFTER CHECKING FURTHER THROUGH THE
    THE RESTRICTE SITES PROTECTION I FIND THESE ARE THERE WHATS UP WITH THAT.
    GAIN I ASK WHAT SHOULD I DO JUST DELETE THEM OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO FULLY REMOVE .
    PS I AM GOING TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE I KNOW KNOWS ABOUT THIS SOFTWARE

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  23. gwingee

Well, I am still having the same problem...never resolved. Getting tired of this. It is always the CoolWeb things unchecked and unprotected in restricted sites..for IE...but guess what..I don't use IE..once in a blue moon.
    Should I just trash spyware blaster and find something else instead or nothing else. I already have Trend Micro and Adaware and AVG spyware

Also, now when it is unprotected..before I click on protect and it did in less than 5 seconds..now it is taking a long time to protect...20 to 25 seconds..what is going ono_O?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.