Problem with Spy Sweeper and NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by thegaijin, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegaijin

thegaijin Registered Member

I just installed Spy Sweeper 5.2 (WITHOUT antivirus) and now NOD32 won't start automatically when I start-up my computer. I have Spy Sweeper set so that it doesn't start-up on windows start-up, but still NOD32 won't start automatically. Any idea how I can fix this?

Also, this may be a topic for another thread but can NOD32 defend against spy ware ? Does it pick up spyware during a full-scan? If so, then maybe I don't need Spy Sweeper anyway...

Thanks!

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

According to this test, NOD32 has an 86% detection rate when it comes to spyware/adware. That's not so bad, but still I would advise to also use a dedicated antispyware application like Spy Sweeper (or even better SUPERAntiSpyware or CounterSpy) for a layered defence. But if you're a relatively safe surfer and cautious about downloads and keeping your OS updated/patched, it shouldn't be a problem. Remember also that NOD32 doesn't clean tracking cookies or left-overs of adware/spyware crap in your Windows registry.

About the NOD32 not starting, check msconfig (Start --> Run... --> type "msconfig.exe" without the quotes). Check that the NOD32 services are set to Automatic and that they are running, and check that the nod32kui.exe file (I think that's the name of the command to start NOD32 Control Center) isn't disabled/unchecked in the "Startup" tab.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi and Welcome to Wilders!

As mentioned by kjempen , NOD32 has very good detection rate when it comes to non-viral malware (such as spyware).

I would suggest you do the following:

1) Goto Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2) Navigate to SpySweeper and uninstall it
    3) Restart the computer after the uninstalltion is finished
    4) Make sure all SpySweeper tracks are removed
    5) Reinstall NOD32 using this procedure:

After NOD32 is reinstalled , make sure you also have a firewall to protect against intruders . Keep your NOD32 up-to-date and regularly perfom In-Depth analysis . If you wish second opinion , you can always use Ewido Micro

Best :thumb:

4. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

Been using Spysweeper along side Nod32 since last November without problems. The latest SS version is 5.3.2.2361 (you had mentioned V5.2). So you might want to try the latest version before giving up on it.

Also, there is a startup items shield in SS that you might try tweaking...

Oldshep

5. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I also use SS (5.3.x) with NOD32 (2.7.x) and I agree with Oldshep that your problem is probably related to the SS startup shield settings which might need to be adjusted to allow NOD32 to startup properly. Check your SS startup program settings for the NOD32 program in the SS program under Shields tab > Startup Programs tab > Edit Startup Items button (i.e. make sure the entry nod32kui is allowed with the box being checked). Give the latest SS 5.3.x a try and install the latest NOD32 2.7x. You could use some of the information for uninstalling and re-installing the latest versions from the suggestions posted in this thread.

If you have the latest SS 5.3.x already installed then just before re-installing the latest NOD32 I recommend that you temporarily disable the "load Spy Sweeper at Windows startup" option in the Spy Sweeper program under Options tab > Program tab > Other Options heading, then reboot the machine. After successfully installing NOD32 simply re-enable SS to load automatically at startup. Allow the startup changes that NOD32 makes after installation if SS 5.3 asks you to allow those changes.

I also have found that disabling a few of the SS shields improves the compatibility with my other security software including ZoneAlarm. In the SS program under Shields tab > Shields Summary tab, I have the following SS shields disabled: common ad sites shield, memory shield, keylogger shield.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  6. thegaijin

Thank you everyone for your detailed responses. I was able to fix the problem - SS was stopping NOD32 running at start-up, but I was able to fix that thanks to your help.

Actually once I figured out how to do it I uninstalled SS and am now trialling Counterspy. It seems to have more features than SS but I'll give SS another go in a few weeks and then decide which one to use permanently.

I also have Spybot S&D, Ad Aware, and Spyware blaster. Not sure if I need all this stuff - hopefully one antispyware program will do the biz. My internet habits are fairly "tame", but I use Limewire and TVAnts so mayber better safe than sorry.

Thanks again to you all for your helpful responses.

thegaijin

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi thegaijin:

FTR, I agree with SoCalReviews and oldshep. My setup is very similar to theirs except I use BD 10 instread.

But your last post sort of scared me!

Users of PC's should never assume that 1 ASW security product will hopefully be enough.

None get 100% detection let alone 100% cleanup!

I have SpyBlaster working fine in the background.

Use your other ASW's as on demand on a less frequent basis.:D

8. Escalader

Hi SoCalReviews:

The list of the SS shields are a bit different than mine, so I'm wondering if mine are twigged right. Which software you are using for your SS disabled shields? (sorry poorly worded)

For example;

In BD I have Cookie Ctrl OFF, and in SS Tracking cookies ON. Wording a bit different?

I have SS Common Ad sites off same as you, but how do you protect yourself there?

I have SS memory off as you do in favour of BD but my assumption is that BD is better or good enough! :doubt:

On Keyloggers, my SS is on and BD has it's heuristic real time shield up as well. BD also has a 10 second Keylogger scan I can run On demand anytime I want to. These don't seem to conflict.

Where I have a current challenge is with ZA Pro and possible overlaps. So I would like to develop with help here a chart showing these shields as column 1, BD and NOD32 as columns 2 and 3 and ZA Pro etc as column 4, 5 etc.

The only ZA setting I've worked on in my scrap sheet shield chart are Hosts file, Active X and Startup items.

The other one of course is FF and it's settings for my ad ons....

Help!

9. thegaijin

Escalader - I'm now running CounterSpy + Spyware Blaster + NOD32. Also have AdAware and Spybot S&D (and Windows firewall). This set-up is working fairly well. I've scanned using all of these and the last run of scans didn't find anything dodgy. Hopefully there is nothing dangerous that is undetectable to all these programs. Thanks for your advice.

If anyone sees a gap in my security set-up, I'd really appreciate it if you could point it out and recommend good software.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  10. Escalader

I know zip about Counterspy so can't comment. Others here could comment.
    Or if you want enter Counterspy into Wilder's search field and read what has been said in the recent past.

The only thing I see at the moment to watch for is that you don't have 2 real time or active ASW clashing. Make sure you don't have Spybot's Tea Timer on at the same time.

If you don't have a H/W router in between your ISP and your PC go out and buy one, they aren't expensive. Ask your ISP which routers they suggest first. I have a Linksys which is CISCO company, but I know there are many models that are probably better from them so I'll leave that to another day.

11. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Escalader, I am not sure about the settings in BD and how to not duplicate the same types of security features with that but what I found was that the SS shields that I disabled were done so to simply improve system performance and functionality. With all my other security software running the SS common ad sites shield was blocking some common web sites from loading at all so I had to disable it. I felt the SS memory shield was not necessary because I seemed to take a hit on system performance with it on and the ZASS (or ZAP) and my NOD32 antivirus already guards and watches for unwanted programs in memory. I believe the SS keylogger shield is off by default.

For my other security programs I have everything except with my ZASS program I only have mostly the ZAP type of program features enabled and have the AV component disabled because I currently use NOD32 for real time AV protection. I use the KAV engine based AV in ZASS v7 once in a while for on demand scanning.

I don't worry too much about duplicating features. My usual approach is to try to run as many features of the security programs that I am using as long as I don't duplicate the "major" features that could conflict like the AV or by using too many antispyware programs. As long as my system doesn't lose functionality or uses too many resources then I keep the features enabled. Almost every system is a little different with various programs, drivers, hardware, etc.. Therefore it always requires some trial and error to become familiar with the combination of programs that you are using to optimize them. As you mentioned I also highly recommend using a router and the Linksys router model WRT54GL which uses Linux firmware is what I currently prefer to use.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.