Problem with Sandboxie crashing Opera 12.17

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by djg05, Jan 19, 2015.

1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have a problem with Sandboxie (paid) 4.14 continually closing Opera when it is run in SB. The error it comes up with is this
    "SBIE2205 Service not implemented: LoadedModules"

This has happened since trying out various f/ws and running the Comodo tests. Each time I reverted to the previous image to keep the O/S clean.

I have uninstalled and installed Opera 12.17 and removed all its settings. I have done the same with SB and also tried all the later betas, but still this bug remains. I do not have any problem with other browsers running sandboxed.

I have run Opera in the default box with no change of settings.

I have looked on the SB web site but nothing shown there helps with this. Opera had been running fine prior to this.

I am completely out of ideas now so would welcome some help please.

Running in Win 8.1/64
    Avast
    Private f/w

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Test running Opera in a new sandbox with default settings.

Bo

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just to let you know I run Opera 12.17 on XP with Sbie 4.14 and don't have any problems here.

Of course Win 8.1 is a different ballgame and I run different software version than you on it.

Could it be a Win Update thing?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi David

Have you tried removing Avast and seeing if that matters. I would try that, and then try the same thing with PFW, all though the times I played with it, it never caused any problems.

Pete

5. Peter2150

Hi David

I did some testing in an 8.1 Workstation Virtual Machine. But there are some differences.

I installed Sandboxie, but I used 4.15.08 It is stable.

2. Install Opera 12.17

3. Created a separate Sandbox and restricted start runs and internet access

4. I use Emsioft Internet Security Suite. While I have used PFW and liked it, I don't like avast.

5 I saw absolutely no issues with Opera sandboxed this way. Worked perfectly.

6. Then because your a good guy, I tried the Comodo tests. They totally screwed up the machine. Nuff said.

Pete

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

dig05, I forgot to mention in my post earlier. Two or three weeks ago, I tested Opera 12.17, I don't recall if it was in W7 or XP, but Opera 12 ran real well under Sandboxie. At the time I was using SBIE 4.15.7.

Bo

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies

Did that Bo but same result

I did revert to an image prior to the updates, but same result

Thanks for doing all that Pete - much appreciated.
    Something is screwed somewhere - just a question of where. Since Opera is the default browser I suppose I have to look in that direction.

I have deleted all Opera settings and deleted the Sandbox folder.

Thanks anyway

8. Peter2150

Hi David

I was going to try Avast, but the installer just didn't set well with me. Can you revert to a time before you ran the comodo tests. Wouldn't be surprised that the issue is there. They hosed the virtual machine.

Pete

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm almost sure that it hasn't got anything to do with SBIE or Opera 12.17, I'm also using this combination without any problems. So it must be some other security tool that's causing this.

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Pete - think I have resolved the issue.

I have another disk setup with windows which had the earlier image on it and that worked fine with SB. So it seemed to be an issue with my disk. I then reformatted it and restored the image to and now it is working ok so far.

I always thought that restoring an image would right all wrongs - seems not so. By the way I was using Active@.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions - always helps to talk, just sometimes helps you take a new tack.

I ought to learn how to use a virtual m/c. Are there any lo cost ones availble?

11. Peter2150

Hi David

For the reasons I use a virtual machine, I've gone with the best which is VMware Workstation. It's not that cheap, but it really is amazing what you can do with it.

Pete

PS glad you got it solved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.