Problem with same name clients

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Alex_create, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex_create

Alex_create Registered Member

Hi everyone!

I have RA Server 2.0.33 + RAC 2.0.33.
    All clients installed from corporate package.
    Windows is deploying by mirroring preinstalled system. That is why all clients have same NETBIOS name but different IP addresses.
    And that is my problem.
    In RAC i see only one record (system define computer name as primary key).
    How can I change settings for defining IP address as primary key or for giving clients some names (maybe setting some reg key).

Renaming of NETBIOS name is unaccepteble solution.

Thanks for answering

*Sorry for grammar. English isn't my native language. :)

2. Rodeca

Rodeca Registered Member

Never tried, but may be it works.

With ERA 2.0.107 (I don't know if in 2.0.33), Tools, Server options..., Other settings / Edit advanced, you get the Config.editor.
    There, go to Advanced / Enable computer renaming and set Yes.

So "the computer name will not be part of the ID of clients".

HIH

P.S. I cannot imagine a system where every computer has the same name:eek:

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I can imagine it if you really dicked up your sysprep configuration or didn't use it at all. God help anyone having to work in that environment.

4. Alex_create

Alex_create Registered Member

2Rodeca
    1. Thank You for answer. I tried this option but it not resolv my problem :(
    2. About my system. It consist of parts of networks in scope A, (with mask 24) where all mini-network has base configuration. All they traffick is routed to central network. That is why i have many computers with same name but different IP-addresses.

2SmackyTheFrog

I hope you changed you mind about my network from this point of view.

5. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

Well it was hardly this kind of setup with identical NetBIOS names Microsoft had in mind when they designed and created Windows. If they were added to a domain it wouldn't work.

So even though it works for you you can't blame ESET for building their solution on the fair assumption that the computers have different NetBIOS names.

Appart from the Sysprep solution you could write a script that runs on each computer that takes the IP-address and converts it to a NetBIOS name (removing the dots) and compares the actual NetBIOS name against the one it has generated. If they are different the script could just change the NetBIOS name and reboot the computer.

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Alex_create,

If you grab the BETA version there are additional options for MAC addresses - Tools, Server options..., Other settings / Edit advanced, you get the Config.editor.
    There, go to Advanced. You will see three options for MAC address renaming. Assuming that at least each client has a different MAC address these should enable you to sort by MAC address.

Cheers :)

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I cannot imagine the traffic jam from broadcasts, not to mention one heck of a confused master browser. I didn't think Windows allowed a second computer on the network if there was already one with an identicle name.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I think they're all on different Class A subnets by the sound of it... But still, I get your point! (it makes me think of this at first but in actual fact for the network to operate at all with all same netbios names it must be reasonably well organised)

9. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

My computer can be named Truck and so can my neighbors. We both have the same ISP, we're still fine. We're all on single host subnets so we never see each others.

Sounds like this guy's setup.

However, if the name is the same just because of the image and it's not a requirement, it's pretty easy to rename the computers remotely.

The tool is here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx

And what you'd do is net use the station so your connected as admin to it,
    copy the file to the station, then

at \\10.1.2.4 20:30 c:\newsid /a newpcname

This will reset the SIDs, rename the PC, and reboot it.

You'd want to read the technet page completely. You'll want to know that anything scheduled in %windir%\tasks will be broken & have to be recreated by doing this.

Anyway, that's another option.

10. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

Well you are right that there is no problem with having the same name as long as you are on different subnets but the current Remote Administration Server/Console was not built for such standalone environments.

So as posted by you and others the bet solution would be to generate a unique computername.

/Preben

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Or you're behind a router doing NAT. Most ISPs don't pass netbios traffic anyways.

Deployment tools such as sysprep, the step to name the PC comes up during bootup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.