Problem with POP3 and HTTP

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by guest, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

My nod32 antivirus was running excellent, but suddenly the image on the taskbar turned red and i saw this message: "an error occurred while starting services. analysis of applications protocols (POP3,HTTP) will not function".
    i tried everything and the problem's still there. Can anyone help please?

2. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

Hi ccomputertek, i went to the device manager and change the ehdrv to demand startup, rebooted and the problem i still there. Then i looked for epfwtdir and epfwwfpr, it turns out that epfwwfpr is fine, no exclamation point and about epfwtdir, i couldnt find it. im using vista sp2 and i have not comodo installed. thank you for your concern.

4. ccomputertek

This does not apply to the issue your having, but you can set ehdrv to demand or auto to avoid potential problems, thats fine.

I guess your using NOD32 version 4 and Vista SP2, so you do not have epfwtdir, for your version of windows the driver is epfwwfpr.Ok, no exclamation point by the driver in device manager, but did you actually go into the properties for the driver ? If NOD32 said a service did not start, it is pointing to that driver concerning HTTP, POP3.So if you go into the properties it should say the driver is not running and is stopped, what happens if you click start to start it manually ?

5. guest

guest Guest

Yes i went to properties and the driver is working properly, status: started. for both epfwwfpr and http.

6. ccomputertek

:cautious: :blink:

7. ccomputertek

Is the eset service running as well ? Unless your using Eset smart security, Epfwwfpr would be the problem, you say it's fine.Have you checked your windows event log, to see if an event from service control manager is telling you exactly what did fail to start ?

8. guest

guest Guest

Ok i only find this in the event log:
    "esent
    WinMail (3172) WindowsMail0: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed." was the only thing i saw like suspicious. And the eset service is runnig but the eset http server is not, when i tried to start it, i got this message: "the eset http server service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

9. ccomputertek

Thats fine, supposed to be that way.Mabe go into your advanced setup tree in the log files section of Eset and set minimum verbosity to show diagnostic records and reboot and copy paste what the log says here from your Eset " event " log.

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7026

Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    epfwwfpr

Is how it would appear in the windows system event log.

More interested in your Eset event log though.

which should show this for your error:

Personal firewall An error occurred while starting services. Analysis of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function.
    Personal firewall An error occurred while starting proxy server. Checking of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not work.
    Personal firewall Error communicating with epfwtdir.sys

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  10. guest

guest Guest

The ESET event log does show the error you said indeed. error comunicating with epfwtdir.sys
    what can i do?

11. ccomputertek

It looks like this ? with all 3 of these ?

Personal firewall An error occurred while starting services. Analysis of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function.
    Personal firewall An error occurred while starting proxy server. Checking of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not work.
    Personal firewall Error communicating with epfwtdir.sys

And yet Epfwwfpr is running ? I'm lost now, because this doesn't make sense, something is missing :doubt:

Follow those directions I posted above and reboot anyway.

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling self-defense and restarting the computer make a difference?

13. guest

guest Guest

wouldn't it be wrong, staying without the self protection? I think i give up. what do pop3 and http do anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.