problem with permissions

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by janger, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janger

janger Registered Member

So I've still got a power user account that I use for daily surfing etc. I have mostly run FDISR from this account via the RunAs command without problems. Today I defragged my system partition using the XP defrag utility. And now FDISR refuses to run from the RunAs command. Is this a problem with the new FDISR (build 202) and defragging, or just a coincedence with some other problems on my system? Anyone care to guess?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just so you don't think you are being ignored, I've no clue. I don't use power user accounts and don't use Windows Defragger.

Sorry

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Me neither, if runas worked before, it means that Windows Defragger has done something.
    That's why I use PerfectDisk which is compatible with FDISR.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, it could also be the account status, who knows.

Janger, if you bought FDISR from Raxco I would contact them, and ask them.

5. ErikAlbert

In that case a simple recovery of a previous snapshot/image might be a solution, if Janger has one of course.

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It was probably caused by your defragging. I am pretty sure that you have to exclude the folder "$ISR/0" when you do a defrag if you are not using Perfect Disk. Raxco Perfect Disk does this automatically. Other defraggers do not automatically exclude this folder, but most have an option to exclude. I am not sure if the Windows defragger has this option as I have never used it. I recently switched to Ultimate Defrag v1.48 from PerfectDisk and so far, it has worked flawlessly with FDISR.

Silver

7. janger

janger Registered Member

I think the file that shouldn't be moved is "$ISR.bin". But when this is moved FDISR shouldn't even boot, IIRC. My system is booting fine with all snapshots showing. Just have lost the ability to run it with admin permissions from a restricted account. And I can't think of any changes made to the system that would cause this, apart from the defrag.

I also thought MS Defrag was safe to use with FDISR. I don't think it moves boot files when an online defrag is done.

8. janger

janger Registered Member

Wow. I have no idea what has occured.

I booted into a secondary snapshot that was made yesterday before defragging. It loaded up but both explorer and drwatson crashed as soon as I got into the admin account. Booted back to this snapshot - my primary - and everything seems ok. The RunAs command is also working again.

I'm a little worried now though. If some weird disk/file corruption has occured, it may have affected all my snapshots. Luckily I have archived copies on my new external HD. But why the secondary snapshot which had seemed stable is now giving errors? I can't rely on that any more.

9. ErikAlbert

This file has to be excluded in your defragger : C:\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN

That's the one, which is also excluded by PerfectDisk AUTOMATICALLY.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  10. ErikAlbert

If a snapshot is corrupted you normally refresh it with its archive OR
    - you delete the corrupted snapshot and
    - you create a new snapshot, using your archived snapshot.

You seem to create alot of problems for yourself, more than I ever had with FDISR.

11. janger

janger Registered Member

LOL!!

The secondary snapshot which crashed was copied straight from the archive on the external HD, to a new snapshot. It had been working fine previously. I will try booting all my other shapshots and see what happens.

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Hi Erik,

The file you refer to, $ISR.BIN, is located in the C:\$APP\Setup folder on my system. When I try to look in C:\$ISR\0, I get an Access Denied message. When I look at the properties of that folder, it says 0 bytes.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Bill

13. ErikAlbert

I checked this in PerfectDisk and this was the folder.
    I could have make a mistake, but I doubt it.

EDIT :
    I verified it again and yes I made a MISTAKE, I'm getting too old for this job. One dot too many !!! :oops:

The file that needs to be excluded in defraggers, other than PerfectDisk is :

C:\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN

Sorry people for this SERIOUS mistake.
    I corrected my mistake in the original post also.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. janger

janger Registered Member

That is the correct location of $ISRBIN.

Erik, I found this post. It's rather old but I'm pretty sure others have said recently MS defragger will not move those files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.