Problem with nvidia 9600GT and Hardy

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Am using new desktop that has the nvidia 9600GT graphics card.
    Unfortunately for me this card is not supported by Ubuntu Hardy as confirmed
    in various forum posts. It slows down the whole system. Compiz effects
    are slow and jerky. Nothing listed in Harware Drivers, and Appearance>Visual
    Effects is not keeping selected prefs.
    What to do ? Should I download the driver from nvidia and uninstall nvidia glx-new ?
    If so, will it not break other installed pacakages, and will the driver
    'survive' kernel updates (what a nuisance if it would always need reinstalling).

If anyone has 9600GT running on Hardy please share any tips and/or precautions -
    I don't want to upgrade to Jaunty - that's why I chose LTS.

Regards.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Ocky,

I can't remember the situation in Hardy any more (now using Jaunty). But doesn't it offer to install the proprietary driver from Nvidia? In Jaunty KDE there is an entry in the System menu -> Hardware Drivers where you can do this.

Another idea: If the envyng-qt package is also available in the Hardy repos you can also try that one.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

From the beginning I have never used the ATI or nvidia drivers from the repos, I either use Envy which automatically downloads latest drivers from the manufacturer's site and remove the old one if its present and install and reboot the system and it works flawlessly. The manufacturer's drivers have more goodies in them and always have a higher FPS. You can also download and install them by executing the script. Make sure all older drivers are removed first.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks Arup and tlu.

There are 3 envy packages - I assume all 3 need to be installed ?

envyng-core
    envyng-gtk
    envyng-qt

Edit: According to Envy site only -qt is required :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are using Gnome that is Ubuntu and not Kubuntu, you need gtk, otherwise for Kubuntu its qt, envy core is needed by both as its the base of the program whereas the other two are front ends.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, of course - just realised it. Installed and no more problems, although had to use the older 173 driver, latest is 180. Thanks again for the tip. :)

Attached Files:

7. Arup

Arup Guest

For 180 you need to install Jaunty in case you are game. :)

8. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hey Arup, long time no see!

Yeah I'm one of those running on Jaunty and testing a few things out.

Attached Files:

9. Arup

Arup Guest

FluxGFX,

Nice to see you here again afte a long while, also very happy to see that you are running Jaunty.

10. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Well I've been on ubuntu for the longest, but I have to run also with Windows in regards to work and some of my games. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.