Problem with new Norton DNS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JohnMult, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

I Check out the new DNS servers located at Norton pages and the second category blocks all possibe pages even norton safe web!
    Has anybody else observes this?

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I've been wondering about Norton DNS addresses this morning, I put in their addresses listed at their site now "Norton ConnectSafe IP addresses: 199.85.126.10 and 199.85.127.10" (which I haven't seen them use there before) and then tested the connection with Norton's tool and it said it wasn't connecting through ConnectSafe. However the old addresses worked fine.

edit: The addresses above might not be new since it's been a while since I've been to the site. But looking at other places online such as Wikipedia, the addresses I've used for a long time are still listed: 198.153.192.40 and 198.153.194.40. Also, the ConnectSafe site wouldn't load for a while this morning. I'm going to revisit OpenDNS while this gets sorted out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

The new set of numbers doesn't seem to work because when I click the link to test it, it says norton dns isn't protecting me.
    Now I use dns angel to enable norton dns but here lately it isn't connecting very fast and when it blocks a page I only get the chrome page saying the site isn't available o_O
    screenshot.1.png
    screenshot.2.png

Is anyone having similar problems?

4. biased

biased Registered Member

Having been for the family to use norton. Happy for the time, as good and works most all things for us.

Useing both new and old of now. This family servers, and be blocking maybe too much for some.

new

old

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

8. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

I think that Norton DNS datacenters are UltraDNS (Neustar) now and url blacklist is by Norton.

Norton DNS datacenters were DynDNS before.

New IPs are faster that older.

Anybody can confirm that?. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Using the new numbers now. They seem a little faster. Haven't had a chance to run them through a DNS benchmark.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Page, type in goggle followed by dot com (.com) and you'll find that it blocks the site. I use that as a test for the time being.

(I've also checked sites on the MDL but this is safer imho since the jury is out on that site from what I've read in the past.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Poifect! TY, Blues7. :thumb:

13. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Why soitanly! :D

My pleasure.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

boiry true:D

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

As for the Norton DNS test page that no longer works....

I sent email to Connectsafe@symantec.com on Feb 17th.
    On Feb 21st they responded.

Q: What happened to the Norton DNS test page? (http://setup.nortondns.com/ )
    A: In the current version of Norton Connectsafe, the test page is no longer supported and has been completely removed.

16. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

You are correct sir! The Neustar IP's are very fast. Use Steve Gibson's DNSBench along with his DNS Nameserver Spoofability Test. You can see what I already knew and probably others did, too that the UltraDNS resolving nameservers are less susceptible to Kaminsky-style spoofing. I'm certain Norton knew this for sometime now. Just so there is no misunderstanding. I did not say the UltraDNS nameservers are are the fastest or that they have the best security features or anything else. I'm just saying that if you look at the results compared to the many, many DNS nameservers the public can use, UltraDNS is among the best when it comes to security features and spoofing resistance. Their nameservers are pretty darn fast, too. IMHO Norton made a wise move.

17. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

Thanks. :)

18. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

UltraDNS? You mean...Neustar? (from Snowden documents)

[NSA-operated IP ranges]
    pdns3.ultradns.org [199.7.68.1]
    pdns1.ultradns.net [204.74.108.1]
    pdns2.ultradns.net [204.74.109.1]

http://whois.domaintools.com/204.74.108.1

19. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Just for the record and notwithstanding the NSA thing, Neustar's UltraDNS free/public service is called DNS Advantage: 156.154.70.1 & 156.154.71.1.
    -http://www.neustar.biz/services/dns-services/free-recursive-dns
    Anything else falls under the purview of their enterprise $ervice$.
    Point of interest, Comodo Dragon at one time opt-in installed 156.154.70.22 as the secondary to their 8.26.56.26; don't know what they're using these days.
    Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  20. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

I just discovered the change in Norton DNS IP addresses yesterday, when my wife's Windows PC starting throwing up certificate errors (and warnings of malware sites for things like Microsoft's outlook.com) when she tried getting into her web email. I tried from my Linux box, and Chromium gave me more helpful information than my wife's IE11 did - Chromium at least told me that addresses were now being served up by "DNS Advantage". I did a quick search, found the new Norton DNS addresses, put those into my router (in place of the older ones), flushed my wife's PC's DNS resolver cache, and all's well now.

I do wonder how many users of Norton DNS are now wrestling with the issues I saw yesterday. IE11 did not give me any useful information to help solve the problem. And DNS servers typically don't go changing their addresses like that - they're usually "set and forget".

Also, FWIW, I am seeing significant packet loss when I ping the new addresses. Like 25%. No packet loss pinging google.com.

21. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Had some clients call me this weekend and had the issues you were having, like you I discovered Norton had changed their DNS servers. Although I haven't seen any issues with packet loss, the new DNS servers seem faster to me.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.