Problem with mounting folders image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sarutaro, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

As I posted under the thread of "A simple math question ", I was not able to back up the whole D-HDD (or D-partition) onto H-partition (in C-HDD) because of the insufficient space in H-partition. So I decided to back up selected folders in D-HDD (ca. 60 GB) onto the H-partition. I made it and validated the "d_drive.tib.

Yesterday, I tried to mount the d-drive.tib image. Then, it prompted the following message on the screen:

"Specifid archive cannot be mounted since it contains no partition."

I don't get it. Could someone explain to me what this means? I am wondering whether mounting image is only for the backup tib for the whole partition not for that created for files/folders.

Note: I have no problem with mounting image of the backup tib of c-main partition.

Thaks. Sarutaro

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

sarutaro,

I'm afraid only disk/partition images can be mounted, files/folders backups can't.

3. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

IMHO.....As bVolk has described............A good reason to do a full backup (image), it gives you the flexibility of restoring everything or selectively restoring files and folders.

4. sarutaro

I agree. So I am now backing up the whole D-drive.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Sarutaro

5. sarutaro

I now have the second thought. If this is the case with v. 9, what is the difference between v.8 and v9? With v.8, I am able to mount and to copy files. Sarutaro

6. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Version 8 didn't have imaging of files and folders.
    So version 8 could only mount .tib images of partitions.
    Version 9 introduced imaging (and restore) of files and folders but it doesn't provide ability to mount a file/folder .tib image.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, it's a bigger backup file but you can mount and copy files from it, soit can be easier inthe long run.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Nope. With those backups, you do a restore and select which files to restore. With a full image, you need to mount and copy files.

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

What exactly have I said that is wrong?

By 'those backups' I assume you mean creating a file/folder .tib (which only became possible in version 9) which then allows you to restore files and folders (as I said).

By a 'full image' I assume you mean a .tib file which contains one or more partition images.
    Such a partition image can be mounted and files/folders copied as required. I don't know which version introduced this feature but it has certainly been available since version 8 (as I said).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.