Problem with Mobysaurus .NET 2.0 app and LnS....

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I was checking out Mobysaurus which is a free thesaurus written utilising .NET 2.0 and when I start it for the first time, LnS alerts me that it wants to connect to the Internet. If I deny this, Mobysaurus crashes:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=5215.0

I reported this to the author and he said it doesn't connect to the Internet on startup. The only time it connects is if you enable Auto-Updates which is initially disabled. A couple of users said they got no alert with other firewalls, and SSM did not alert either with it's network module.

So, I uninstalled LnS and installed KIS 6 with Anti-Hacker. This time when I started Mobysaurus, I got no alert and it started properly.

So, it looks like there might be a bug with Application filtering in LnS with .NET 2.0 apps. I am using the latest version of LnS 2.05p3 with all beta features activated and Phant0m's rule-set.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem with LnS ?

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Defenestration :)

There is no bug at all. Not related to any rule set ...

Mobysaurus makes a connection in local to listen on any ports...

http://cjoint.com/?kBaO64QHyo

1- It's normal for the LNS software filtering to check any program
    runned to compute his checksum especially if this program is listening...

2- As usual the author of this program seems to ignore the behaviour of his own program...

Last remark: SSM makes a warning too.

:)

3. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks Claude. For some reason, I didn't consider local connections and when I checked SSM the network rules were disabled :rolleyes: :oops:

Oh well, roll on the weekend. :D

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I tested this application, and I got the same problem, if Look 'n' Stop blocks it it crashes. It doesn't crash if it is allowed.
    There is nothing special Look 'n' Stop blocks this application like any other one, it seems the failure case when a socket can't be created is not properly supported.

One workaround: allow it, but just allow IP 0.0.0.0 for TCP & UDP (with the port & IP dialog box in application filtering).

Regards,

Frederic

5. Motjuste

Motjuste Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.