Problem with MCAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by storm7z7z, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storm7z7z

storm7z7z Guest

I just removed Norton system works and installed McAfee antivirus.

The Problem: 1)The programs load slower then before
    2)My tool bar locks up and my quick launch icons wont work 3)Try to run a program and then the hour glass comes up and goes away and no program opens 4)Try to get into my document or control panel and it does nothing.

Other Info: Just got rid of msg121.dll also In safe mode everything works fine. I ran the antivirus and no virus and I ran spyware/adware programs and my system is clean.Also I got rid of a windows q81143 update from computer to see if that was making it do it, but no luck still doing it.

I believe that the version I have is 7.0

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have run mcafee off and on for years and never had a slow down related to mcafee, especially Version 7.0. What system are you running it on.

3. bigc73542

Do you have the firewall installed that comes with 7.0?

4. Storm7z7z

Storm7z7z Guest

My system:
    I have a pent3 800mhz, 256 for memory, also running windows xp.
    I do have the firewall with it but I disabled it. I been rebooting to see if I could get my system to work. This time it actually worked but ever since I got rid of the spyware/adware that was the msg121.dll. I been getting a message saying Generic Host Process for win32 has encounted a problem and needs to close. When I actually do get that message my system doesn't freeze upand I can use it. Most of the time though it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help bigc

5. bigc73542

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  6. Storm7z7z

Storm7z7z Guest

I know for sure I got all of it out.

7. storm7z7z

storm7z7z Guest

I actuallyused that to remove it :).

8. bigc73542

:D :D ;) well we will have to think of something else. I will keep checking.

9. Storm7z7z

Storm7z7z Guest

Thanks for your help bigc...... Lol i can only use my comp in safe mode with networking. So frustrating. Found some advice but not directly related to whats happening here. Some people got this from the msblast bug and others say it is a device driver doing it. Cant go into device manger to check it out though :(. In safe mode everything looks fine in there though. I am going to give it a rest for tonight. Thanks for all your help :).

10. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

when you boot up into safe mode uninstall mcafee then remove any and all instances of norton and mcafee from the registry and c:\program files I have this problem all the time while moving my machines from CA etrust to mcafee most are 9x, if u have time clean up your machine and defrag it, then try to reinstall VScan and should run perfect, if not then Im stumped.

matty G

11. storm7z7z

storm7z7z Guest

Hi Bob,
    I uninstalled everything and before i tried reinstalling I have seen that the same thing is going on.

12. Storm7z7z

Storm7z7z Guest

Hi guys,
    I just wanted to let you know I finally fixed it. I still dont know what was really making the problem. I just booted pressed F8 and in there was last known good configuration. I did that and it work. I just had to install all the security updates again and my display driver. Hopefully it will stay working hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.