Problem with link in application???

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Atomas31, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I have a strange problem that is occur by PG 3.0 (final release).

I will take for example the software Trojan Hunter to make it more easy to understand the problem but the problem appears with almost every software on my computer.

If I open, for exemple Trojan Hunter, I click on the Help Menu, than click for exemple to the link technical support (wich is suppossed to open my Explorer to the Technical support page of trojan hunter), it open Explorer with nothing in it (in the view box), nothing in the address bar, nothing, everything is white than I close this application but when I come back to Trojan Hunter, it is now an empty white box windowso_O And there is no way to close it (even try advance process termination with no luck), the only thing I can do is minimise it and maximise ito_O? The only way I can close it is by rebooting my systemo_O What is the problem and How can I resolve this problem without alway disabling PG 3.0 to make everything work fineo_O

thank you for your answers,
    Atomas31

2. Atomas31

Just to say that in no way does PG react or indicated me anything (no block, no terminate, no nothing)? That's why it took me so long to realize that it could actually be PG 3.0 the problemo_O

Atomas31

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Atom, What allows do you have on explorer.exe? As it will need "Allow global hooks"
    I know nothing of Trojan Hunter but other users may be able to help.
    iexplorer.exe shoud have Allow global hooks and Acces to physical memory but I have found it unnecessary to have Allow Access to physical memory on this PC so far.

HTH Pilli

4. Atomas31

Hi Pilli,

The problem is with, from what I can tell , all my software (Trojan Hunter was just an exemple)o_O My explorer already have permission to install global hookso_O And as for access physical memory my Explorer never ask for it so I don't really see what goods it will do?

Thanks for your help Pilli,
    Atomas31

By the way, my nickname is Atomas31 and not Atom wich might be another member ;-)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK Atomas31, We tend to shorten names that are unwieldly especially when it is obvious who we are replying to. :)

Disable Trojan Hunters Guard and see if that stops it.
    You could also try disabling all four General blocks then re-enable one at a time until the behaviour reoccurs, this might give us a clue as to what is happening.

HTH Pilli.

6. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I have been experiencing a similiar problem with IE 6.0.2900.2180_xpsp_SP2_rtm_040803_2158. I can be using the Internet with no problems and then suddenly access stops and I get the blank screen as Atomas31 describes. It is very random and not all that frequent, but annoyingly frequent :( . It will last for 3-5 minutes and then access returns without any rational as to why it stopped or returned.

Over the last 30 days, I have done many, many things to track this down...reloaded my NIC drivers, etc., etc., reloaded/updated NIS 2005, contacted my cable company. No errors show up in any of the system logs or other logs. I have tried disabling PG options, but have not been able to correlate it.

This started shortly after installing Beta 1; was more frequent with Beta 2 (sometimes every 60-90 minutes), and now is less frequent (once or twice a day).

Another interesting thing is that when this happens, AOL Radio continues to work just fine which indicates to me that my ISP data flow is working. And stopping AOL Radio does not solve the problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi SiliconeMan01, Not heard of that problem before, I cannot see how ProceeGuard could affect browsing once IE is running.
    Do you get this behaviour when running another browser such as firefox?

Thanks. Pilli

8. siliconman01

I do not use Firefox or any other browser on my system. I just added to my previous post that when this occurs, AOL Radio continues to work which means that data flow is working between my system and cable ISP.

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ah! AOL, Hopefully Peter will respond to this thread as he has had lots of fights with AOL & ProcessGuard in the past :)

10. Atomas31

Hi,

Somebody have given this solution (Thanks to Snapdragin!)to my question in another part of this forums :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q281679&ID=KB;EN-US;Q281679

I have done everything writting on it, disable all the protection and everything of PG 3.0 and try if it works with Trojan Hunter and it did.

I have re-enabled all protection in PG 3.0 and try it again and still worko_O
    Go wonder... Hope it last :)

Pilli, I thought so when you write Atom but I just wanted to be sure. And thanks for all your helps, it is much appreciate :)))

Atomas31

11. siliconman01

Pilli,

I honestly do not think the problem I am experiencing is related to AOL. During my investigation of the problem, I stopped all AOL activities and memory modules for a period of time and the IE problem still occurred.

As a Beta tester of AOL, I am fairly knowledgeable about AOL 9.0 Optimized SE and its related modules. Plus I do not use a lot of the AOL add-ons such as toolbar, spyware detector, dialer, Pure Networks, etc. Plus I use IE outside of AOL to surf the Internet. So, my opinion/conclusion is that whatever has induced this problem is non-AOL related. I've had no bad experiences with AOL and PG 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. At least, not that I know of for sure.

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK, Peter experienced a few problems with earlier versions of PG but I do not think that there have been any problems reported with AOL / IE with version 3.
    What firewall are you using BTW?

Pilli

13. siliconman01

Hardware Firewall= Linksys BEFSX41 (Firewall and Router) Firmware 1.50.18
    Software Firewall=Norton Internet Security 2005
    Windows XP-SP2 Firewall= Turned OFF

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks, I am not familiar with Norton's firewall so I cannot help there but hopefully others can, as quite a few users use Norton with ProcessGuard.

BTW I use Linksys & a 3com routers :)

15. siliconman01

I'll keep trying to trap the sequence and try to make some sense of it.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay guy's Pilli hit me up the side of the head to poke into this thread.

I do use AOL 9.0 SE for Internet Access. I use AOL's DSL. Also I use Internet Explorer latest and greatest version(no laughter please).

First when I first install PG I turn on the 4 protection tabs, and while in Learning Mode I fire up AOL and go online. I also fire up Internet explorer(no surfing), and fire up Radio@AOL. I then let any software that has an update feature do a manual update, and then log off. This way all the protections are setup. This has worked well for me. I feel okay doing this because I have my firewall, and av/at in place.

I have seen on occasion when the external IE wouldn't access the internet, while, not only Radio@aol is working, but AOL's internal browser would work. This generally seems to happen if I have had the computer in sleep mode, or if the system has been idle long enough to go into power down mode.

When this happens I first log off and shutdown AOL. This sometimes clears the problem. If it doesn't then I reboot, and that alway's does.

In all my involvement with PG I have no evidence that this behavior associates with PG.

Pete

17. siliconman01

Peter2150

Thanks for your input/feedback. I'm not at all stating that my IE problem is PG caused. The "only evidence" is the fact that the problem started shortly after installing PG 3 Beta 1. Now we are all intelligent enough recognize that things get updated, modified almost each day anymore. So the problem could be related to any number of things. Until I can pin it down to hard evidence, I am most certainly not blaming PG 3 for the problem...or for that matter any other specific program. Yesterday the problem only occurred once and it took a reboot to get IE access again. Again, thanks for your experienced input/feedback. It truly helps a great deal.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi siliconman01

I have had a few of these types of minor issues that coincidentally appeared with XPPro's SP2. I won't begin to guess what is at fault as I haven't been able to pin down a single application. For example I use Dantz's Retrospect 6.5. Works great after a reboot, but at some point after something has happened, it will freeze when attempting a backup. Reboot clears problem. This is using their latest version, but this all started with SP2. Go figure.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.