Problem with interactive mode - we need your comments

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I had a similar problem, but the reverse. When I first installed it, ESS asked for access on some programs(Windows Host, Sidebar...), but when I went to browse the web, thru IE7, it blocked it, straight out. I then changed it to automatic and things worked fine. Then, a couple hrs later, I changed it BACK to interactive and suddenly it DID recognize IE7 and asked for access and seems to be asking for access correctly, in all cases. I dunno what changed from just turning to auto then back to interactive, but it seemed to solve my issue(although I still haven't tried my Cisco VPN connection just yet).

I'm on Vista Home Premium, BTW.

2. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Have installed and re-installed ESS Beta1. (Hard drive crash - not ESS's fault; hard drive had hardware error - head crash). Anyway, Automatic mode on firewall worked very well; full stealth rating and no problems except no VPN (will connect and find new network but no NETBIOS messages allowed on TCP). On Interactive mode on firewall, firewall starts but blocks ALL network traffic both external and 'local' (some services that connect through 127.0.0.1 will no longer run). Waiting for Beta2.:cool:

3. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Wanna add to this, due to some harddrive issues, I had to reinstall Vista. Since reinstalling Vista and ESS, I am now randomly seeing the interactive prompt for access window, but most of the time, I get nothing and the programs, that needs access just gets denied. I have to go into the rules and manually add it in, for it to work.

4. drvista

drvista Registered Member

i am using windows vista and Eset Smart Security 3.0 beta 1
    so i realy love it so much but the firewall needs more tweaks as if i just let it on auto mode it will not alllow utorrent to go online and yahoo messenger too so i just wanna make the firewall better make it integrate much to windows vista as i get a waring i have no firewall and also make it easier to configure
    iam using it on manual and had added all my programs manually even IE7 and firefox
    2nd thing here i just wanna add a feature that is (when i right click on) a file and select (scan it) -you know- some context menu like any other antiviruses
    and also when i try to do a manaul scan i don't know when will it finish or % as the given % is for the current partition only
    another thing about the gui i love it and its far better than node32 2.7 but just tweak it for more vista style for eg. just remove that sad menu bar and the title bar and make it like office 2007 just icons and tools or even just options inside the window not up there to make it great with vista
    thnx

5. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Well I got it now too - after some bad crashes (installing beta ssm) all rules were gone - dunno where to and after that it worked with about 5 apps fine, but after that all new app was blocked, automatic worked as it should but going back to interactive - block without any note

I am on german xphomesp2

Ruben

6. billybob666

billybob666 Registered Member

It would seem that interactive mode works sometimes but not all times. A reboot seems to make it work again for a while then the same.

7. DOOOMKULTUS

DOOOMKULTUS Registered Member

I don't get any prompt pop-up window by the ESS firewall,for applications wanting to connect to the net.It used to earlier when it was newly installed.I havent reinstalled yet.It blocks access to net without prompting,so i have to manually allow it.
    I'm using Windows XP MCE SP2,512Mb ram,2.4Ghz.
    I have no other antivirus/firewall installed and ESS it the only program in my startup.

8. Maxkaos

Maxkaos Registered Member

Vista Business 32-bit --> PROBLEMS
    XP Pro Sp2 32 bit --> ALL FINE

9. tosbsas

new dll is worse, had no problems before, now I don't get popwindows :)-((

Ruben

10. michael83815

michael83815 Registered Member

Vista Ultimate and Dreamweaver 8 no popup. I will try the rules manually? Ok no prompt for IE7. There is problem. What would you like me to do?

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  11. GNaschenweng

GNaschenweng Registered Member

Running on Vista Ultimate 32bit and interactive mode works erratic. At times it seems that interactive mode works more consistent on broadband dialup and does not work very well on wireless/LAN.

Also found that since I installed the beta and I plug in the network cable Vista bluescreens. Wireless is fine though - had no time to eliminate the issue.

In comparison to Zonealarm ESET needs alot more work - especially in with interactive mode.

12. tosbsas

No way of getting the windows updates in interactive mode - automatic worked withou problem. Standard DLL

Ruben

13. DOOOMKULTUS

I still dont get a popup for new connection by a new software ,wats wrong,im using beta 1a.it just connects to the internet even when F/W is on.

14. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi Dooomkultus,

could you please specify what program it is, to help discover how it connects to the internet and why it is maybe not detected by ESS's firewall ?
    Also do you use Beta 1a ? It's upposed to fix most of the issues with firewall's interactive mode.

15. DOOOMKULTUS

I used Tubes from http://www.tubesnow.com/ and it downloaded the install files without prompting or without me having any custom rule for it.Im using interactive mode.Another weired thing im able to use utorrent normally but i dont get any pop ups nor have i created a custom rule for it.i checked my firewall is ON (as some might suggest that its actually off).

16. DOOOMKULTUS

Hello ppl where is everybody,i have now found that another program called grabber also connects to the internet without showing me any popup or without it having any custom rule,I'm still using interactive mode and i use beta 1a.
    Lack of reply is disturbing.

17. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I think there are still some serious problems to be sort out with the firewall, as I am having problems with K9 web protection as well. It's probably good to stay patient for some time, ESET guys will sort them out. Once its finished it will be fast and reliable just like ESET AV, and from what I've seen so far just as user friendly as Zonealarm.

18. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Gone back to Automatic now...Interactive does seem flaky...lets hope it gets better.

19. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

im remote desktopped to my home pc (home pc has ess 1a) yet in the firewall, it doesnt report the connection from my work pc, just says
    svchost.exe:3389 0.0.0.0 and no remote ip

xbox360 wont work either in interactive mode

firewall window also resizes by itself

20. Sencal

Sencal Registered Member

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ Sencal

My knowledge about Vista is limited , so I have no idea what this might be . It is either a bug or something with Vista . I would block it until someone writes something more about it

22. tosbsas

New problem with newest beta (1a) on winxp sp2

When trying to install firefix extensions I get errors, when setting firewall to automatic it works without problem

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.