Problem with interactive mode - we need your comments

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We have been reported an issue with a prompt window not appearing in interactive mode from several users. We would appreciate if the users affected with this issue could post here information about their operating systems. So far it seems that only some Vista users are affected, but we'd need to make sure.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

I am having this problem on Vista Business (32 bit). I have tried to determine if I have been doing anything particular when this occurs and it seems this happens most often right after I have added or edited some rules and does not go away until I reboot. It is not reproducible every time in this instance but does seem to happen at this time the most. HTH...

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Using windows XP and no problems

4. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

Re: Problem with interactive mode

Testing up-to-date XP Pro. and Vista Bus. (32-bit) with no problems here.

*Edit: No longer getting prompts on either install in Interactive mode.
    My problems are covered by the posts below, same deal. Seems random,
    but I will probably start seeing some kind of pattern here soon enough.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. Marcos

Re: Problem with interactive mode

Please report only those who have run into an issue with interactive mode, otherwise we will lose track.

6. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

On Vista Ultimate I have 2 problems when running ESS in interactive mode.

One is no firewall prompt window appears, when you launch a application, or
    a browser etc.. so than I right click to manually open the ESS GUI from the
    taskbar, and go to the firewall rules.

Next issue, once you manually edit a firewall rule, from within the ESS GUI,
    than the pop up appears, says Eset personal firewall - rule application, and
    Communication was allowed. More... and when you click More... nothing happens, and the newly created rule just keeps popping back up, over
    and over and over again, right above the taskbar, you click x to close,
    nothing happens, you click the minus, a pop up box than appears and
    which shows Display notification on desktop, than setup, the setup
    options are good, but the preview option is greyed out, and does not
    work, and far as the continued pop up firewall rule a reboot does not
    resolve the problem, it keeps popping back up, and only way to stop
    it is to uncheck the box for Display notifications on desktop.

Regards,

Wake

7. Najmi

Najmi Registered Member

Hi Marcos i have tested this on all the OS ie Vista , Windows 2003 and Xp this problem is there for all the os i have checked the configurationa dn double checked it. the prb is mainly on vista nd windows 2003 on xp at times i do get the pop up screen.

8. mil3s

mil3s Registered Member

I'm on XP Pro and I think this issue is what's casing problems with games I play online and in LAN. If I switch to automatic mode it works... better at least. :p

9. backspin

backspin Registered Member

Hi,

having this problem on vista too. Strange behaviour - once you have defined one rule for an application, it seems there will never be a prompt window for this application.
    For instance I created a rule: browser - port 80 (http) - out - allow
    works all fine for this but when changing now through a secure http connection (https - port 443) no prompt window appears. Only in the log I could read "no used rule found" and define a rule.
    Same problem with other applications ftp connection, email...

regards
    backspin

10. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

I've only experienced this once so far, and I have no idea what it was that caused it. When it happened, the firewall would respect the rules I had already created, but would automatically block everything else without asking. Changing to 'Automatic' didn't change this behaviour, but rebooting, and then changing back to 'Interactive' mode, fixed it.

I'm using Vista.

11. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Just a supplement to my original post,
    at time I installed ESS was under the
    automatic mode option, after install
    was when I checked the settings,
    and than I switched to advanced,
    and to the interactive firewall mode,
    thats when I experienced the popup
    problem noted above, and I am not
    running any other real time security
    applications.

Regards,

Wake

12. stadi

stadi Registered Member

I have this problem in the Hungarian Vista 32bit Ultimate, with all the latest updates.

13. thezzapper

thezzapper Registered Member

Exact same problem with me regarding ftp rules.

14. thezzapper

Vista Home Premium.

15. thezzapper

Here's a followup: after rebooting my pc (which i only do about twice a week), it has restored the pop up rules in interactive mode. I am now getting pop-up for rules; even for ftp. My Ftp is finally working. :D

16. X3ro

X3ro Registered Member

I'm using ApexDC++ and the interactive mode sometimes doesn't show a window with choices...alllow or deny, it just denies in/out of the program...it's very similar that the interactive mode works with some little period and the apex' requests for connection are between that period

17. ArchChancellor

ArchChancellor Registered Member

I've rebooted a couple of times and it is very intermittent. Sometimes I lose the pop-up windows, sometimes I don't.

Vista Ultimate.

18. ArchChancellor

ArchChancellor Registered Member

Question? Of the people above who are reporting problems, are you running SLI?

I've had SLI on Vista make screens and pop-ups appear, but it seemed to be fixed with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Just a wild random thought.

19. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

I always get pop-up prompts in interactive mode, but only for outgoing connections. When an incoming connection was needed, I had to know it and manually create the rule, or it would never be allowed. It's okay with me for automatic mode, where ESS decides which ones to allow or deny, but in interactive mode, there needs to be prompts for incoming connections...

Also, I disabled DNS cache. So ESS should prompt me on DNS connection attemps. It doesn't. Maybe there's a hard-coded rule I didn't see, but if so, it should be removed, else, it's a bug in the firewall. Not all applications should be allowed DNS requests... Only the ones you choose to allow it (in interactive mode at least).

20. guojc

guojc Registered Member

Problem with Vista Ultimate. Not showing any prompt for new connection, after successfully show for first a few times. Need reboot to give away of it. Use nvidia go 7400 mobile graphic card and latest driver

21. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

I had that issue at first, after I installed ESS. It popped up a prompt for the first program I launched, then it wouldn't show any prompts and I had to enter rules manually. After rebooting, everything worked fine and I couldn't reproduce the issue anymore. Using Windows XP SP2.

22. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Hello,

Same problem on Win XP SP2 (German).

At first the popup promts fine... but after ca. 2 hours, no popups where shown... all aplictions with no rule are blocked. Restart system and switch between different firewall modes doesn't help

Regards

23. gRoet

gRoet Registered Member

24. Marcos

Have some of you, who have experienced this issue, NOT initiated an incoming connection, e.g. via vpn? Please do reply only those whom this concerns.

25. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

uTorrent was the first program that requested access and then the popup prompt appeared. I suppose that a lot of incoming connections which weren't initiated by me were present at that time. The problem disappeared after rebooting, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.