Problem with IE8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by G1111, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Noticed when I went to the windows update site it connects but page is blank. Checked Hosts file and that is okay, flushed dns, reloaded IE8 and no luck. My Internet connection is fine. Maybe active x or scripting problem. Anyone have any suggestions. Using XP Pro SP3 fully patched.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks Ron, I have automatic updates set to prompt and have installed today's patches. I tried most of the things on the page you recommended. Thus far none have solved the problem. Everything seems to work fine. I do establish an Internet connection and I can go to various pages with IE8. I don't get an error messages with the MS windows update page. It just remains blank. I also have Firefox and Chrome installed. They work fine.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Dis you try disabling MD first retry, then diisable DW retry, etc.

Regards

5. timestand

timestand Former Poster

Yes always think of problem with your software. Bad to had so many software.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Kees - Yes tried disabling MD all protections and terminated (mdhook.dll disabled), DW (even uninstalled), MBAM, KAV and SpywareBlaster (disabled all protections and removed custom blocking file, then even uninstalled), turned off windows firewall. IE8 works (though I seldom use) and I do connect to other sites. The only thing I noticed is that Microsoft windows update page does not load. I also noticed can't run videos on YouTube (although I can with FF or Chrome). Downloaded latest flash, java, etc. which I keep up to date anyhow. Minor bug but I would like to fix.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

try possibly
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836948

+ in IE
    "..
    1. Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.
    2. Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
    3. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the following addresses, and then click Add after you type each address:
    4. Click OK two times...."
    otherwise, does it work if you initiate Windows Update via Control panel?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/learn/windowsxp.mspx

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks Cudni that did not work (change settings in security in IE). I can download updates through control panel and did so yesterday. I was trying to figure out why can't load that one web page using IE8. Also, went back and tried remaining things on MS website Ron recommended.

Do you know what MS used on their windows update page (active x, scripts, etc.)?

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you have downloaded any software from that link do not run it. All you have to try are written instructions listed on that page.

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Deleted download (didn't run). Went back to web age and ran first two commands. The third one I got this error message (attached). I went to IE8 and opened to updates page and it loaded except a message indicated I needed to set permissions to "enable" for user data persistence which was already enabled. I reset IE8 to default and tried again. This time it loaded correctly. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  13. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Reset all zone settings and other to default post back your findings.

14. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

siljaline - Thanks for checking in but problem has been solved using Cudni's tip.

15. siljaline

That's terrific, G1111, glad we we able to help. I would be curious to know which of Cudni's tips worked for you. As long as you are good to go, that is good enough for me.

Appreciate the feedback and best regards.

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

This is what worked:
    Go to Start—>Run
    Next type the following, one after the other and click OK after each command.
    regsvr32 jscript
    regsvr32 vbscript
    regsvr32 /i mshtml
    and then resetting IE8 back to default.

17. siljaline

That is quite the trick fix and would likely work as a one-off fix.
    I do appreciate you letting us know what worked for you.

Again, thanks and regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.