Problem with Google Toolbar

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by petersteiner, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

Hello,

I'm running v2.70.12 on Win XP Home SP2, driven by a 1.6 Ghz Centrino. After downloading the Google Toolbar installer from http://toolbar.google.com/T4 NOD32 takes about half a minute until it finishes the scan. During the scan it uses 100% CPU. This doesn't just happen with this version of NOD but also with 2.50.

Can someone explain to me what a strange file this Google Toolbar installer is and why NOD takes so long, please? From all the files I downloaded since I'm running NOD, the Google Toolbar installer is the only one NOD is having problems with.

Thanks a lot!

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

does nod32 scan it while you are installing it or while it's still downloading ?

3. petersteiner

It holds the download at 99% until the scan is finished (I have the Imon enabled). Try it out. When the file is on the HD, moving and copying it is also awfully slow.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

go to IMON-> Setup-> Http-> Client compatibility and switch to Higher compatibility for your download manager and/or browser. ;)

5. petersteiner

It's already at higher compatibility. I remember this problem also appeared when I didn't have the Imon installed (at NOD 2.50 times).

I don't have any other security software installed and don't run any funky stuff. My system has pretty much standard software only.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Disabling SFX archives in IMON and AMON should do the trick, but not recommended, however.

7. petersteiner

Disabling SFX scanning didn't help. Even after I quit NOD the nod32krn.exe process is working at 99% when I download this file. Strange installer.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Does the problem occur if you temporarily disable scanning of runtime packers by IMON?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. petersteiner

Yes, it also happens when I disable scanning of runtime packers in Imon and Amon. I think Imon is not responsible for the problem. I'm using IE7. The "real" download in IE happens only during 1-99% of the download process. The last percent is the copying from the temp directory to the download directory. That's the moment when my computer is getting sluggish and the fan starts running. Each time I move, copy or delete the GTB installer NOD is acting up.

No big deal for me. I'm not downloading the installer every day. Still strange that it happens only with this file. I first noticed this a couple of months ago when I was downloading an older version of GTB.

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

a smidgen longer than most files here (actually about 8 seconds longer), but nothing I would call unacceptable...
    Code:
    Scan performed at: 11/11/2006 12:37:07 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1861 (20061110) NT
    Command line: /config=GetRight /scheduled /break- /scanmbr- /scanboot- /scanmem- D:\My Documents\My Received Files\Downloads\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32.exe - is OK

Date: 11.11.2006  Time: 12:37:08
    Anti-Stealth technology is enabled.
    Scanned disks, folders and files: D:\My Documents\My Received Files\Downloads\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe
    D:\My Documents\My Received Files\Downloads\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe - is OK
    Number of scanned files: 1
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 12:37:16 Total scanning time: 8 sec (00:00:08)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.