problem with enabling Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by razz, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razz

razz Registered Member

Some time ago I installed Returnil and all seemd OK when I used it. I forgot about it for some time and then yesterday when I launched Returnil and tried to enable it, my pC went to a crawl and nothing happened and I was not able to run any application, e.g. Firefox, Google Chrome. Returnil was using approx. 99% of the CPU. I decided to uninstall and then re-install returnil but this didn't help. Both times when I tried to kill the Returnil process in Task Manager, nothing happened. I could not kill the process and I had to reboot to gain normal PC behavior.

My system generally runs well and I have no problems with any other applications.

I have XP Home with SP 3
    38.2 GB drive (12.2 free)
    735 RAM

Thank you for your time. Any help will be great appreciated.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi razz and welcome to the forums :)

This is the first report of anything like this happening with RVS. So to try and narrow down what is happening:

1. Did you install anything new between the time when RVS was working properly and when this issue occured? If yes, what was installed (both hardware and software)

2. DO you get any error messages from Returnil? If yes, what is the exact text?

3. Please check your event viewer logs (application & System) for any errors associated with RVS and/or Returnil.

Thanks
    Mike

3. razz

razz Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon,

(1) I installed numerous programs since the last time I used Returnil. The problem is...I would not have a clue which ones. Too long a period and too many programs/applications. So this would be impossible for me to accurately report back to you.

(2) No error messages at all.

(3) Please excuse my ignorance, but where would I find the event viewer logs?

I've attached 3 screen shots to show as follows:

(a) Processes in Windows Task Manager when I have tried to enable Returnil.
    Note: Chrome is showing up in the processes because I kept this window on the forum open.

(b) Performance in Windows Task Manager when I have tried to enable Returnil.

(c) My startup programs.
    It should be noted that none of these programs have ever given me any problems. All other programs run well.

After trying to enable Returnil, I was able to launch Google Chrome and also MWSnap (for the snap shots), even though it took longer than normal to launch both. But, I still cannot enable Returnil and cannot kill the process. A reboot is still necessary to get back to normal.

Again, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

Update: seconds after I finished posting, Returnil indicated that Protection is ON. The CPU usage is now very good again. So...we know Returnil will indeed enable system protection, but it takes a long, long time to do so on my PC. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Coldmoon

Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

What cache mode are you using with RVS (Memory or Disk)? If Disk, use the repair option in the uninstaller (please turn the protection off first) to change to memory caching and let me know if there is relief.

Mike

5. razz

razz Registered Member

There were no errors listed in the event log.

I used the memory cache and I skipped the "Virtual Partition".

BTW, what is normal time period for turning protection on (seconds, I assume) ?

6. Coldmoon

In most casses it should be immediately. Lets see if we can simplify your setup and then work our way back to where you are now. To this end:

1. Uninstall RVS, ThreatFire, WinPatrol, and Secunia
    2. restart your system and then perform a defrag on your HDD
    3. Reinstall RVS
    4. Check: Is RVS and your system operating normally?
    5. If 4 is yes, reinstall one of the programs and test for system and RVS performance. At the conclusion of the test for each program, uninstall it and then proceed to the next one in the list in the same way.
    6. Did the performance issue return with any of the applications individually? If yes, which one?
    7. Now try all 4 together - does the issue return?

Thanks
    Mike

7. razz

razz Registered Member

Just wanted to let you know, I followed your instructions and at #4 Returnil is working like it should. Now I'll reinstall the 3 programs one by one and check if things still work. I'll let you know as soon as I do. I really appreciate your help.

8. razz

razz Registered Member

YAY! :) I can enable Returnil with no problems and all 3 programs that I had uninstalled (WinPatrol, ThreatFire, Secunia PSI) have all been reinstalled. All co-exist fine now.

Don't exactly understand how the problem got fixed. I guess the defrag after the 4 uninstalls did the trick...or perhaps having Returnil installed first.

Coldmoon, thank you so very much for your time and effort in helping me.
    Also, thank you for a fantastic product...well done!

9. Coldmoon

Its hard to tell as the more applications you add to a particular lineup, the more complex the interactions can become. Keep an eye on things and let me know if you run into any more trouble.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.