Problem with dynamic disk paths

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Samdor, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samdor

Samdor Registered Member

Re: 2.06 Official Release

Frederic Hello! ! !
    Sorry for the poor English, using a translator.
    I look'n'stop set to Win Server 2003. Hosted organized raid array on two dynamic disk. The problem is that all dynamic movement disc filter perceived as network applications. The result has come clean filter applications (limiting the number of applications). Now, I have a list of applications is as follows :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=192664&stc=1&d=1187344117
    Give please, as this go? ? ?
    Thank you...

Attached Files:

• lns_.jpg
      lns_.jpg
      File size:
      272.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Samdor,

This application list is very strange. I don't know why you have path like "C:\DEVICE...".
    Maybe it's linked to your character set, what is the language/localization of your windows version ?
    Are all the application in the list like that ? It seems not, since there are some correct icon in the connected application list.

When you had the prompt to allow/block the application, were the paths also with "C:\DEVICE..." ?

Regards,

Frederic

3. Samdor

Samdor Registered Member

In my small study, this directory is not physically there. His DMIO a driver working with the dynamic drive. DMIO a facility for each type of device that dynamic disk with the name of the form \Device\Harddisk DmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\BlockVolumesX. In addition, a driver of another facility, streaming (unstructured) input / output for that name \Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\ RawVolumesX. DMIO manages packages IRP (intercepts packets asking for input / output) for volumes of several sections, and to treat them. I think these packages and saw L'n'S and treats them as a network.
    No, Windows (language/localization) is not to blame, there is a problem after a raid on an array of dynamic drive.
    No, there are good applications:
    lns_.jpg
    Yes, it was a letter to the mail program Microsoft Outlook :
    lns1.jpg
    It is precisely because of the dynamic drive ... :(

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Thanks for this information. I understand this is the way the dynamic disks are setup at the low level.
    When you want to access a file on these disk, what is the normal Windows path you get ? Is it mapped to a specific drive (for instance "Z:\tmp" would corresponds to "\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\tmp") ?

I'm afraid the way Look 'n' Stop get application paths is not compatible with the way these dynamic disks are setup :(

Frederic

5. Samdor

Samdor Registered Member

Actually all paths in system look the same, whatever the disks are, either dynamic or basic. If L'n'S couldn't see paths like C:\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\". I still would have no idea about the existense of those...
    I just give network access for the application using the path like: "C:\Program Files\ The Bat!\Thebat.exe" and it works just fine.
    The problem is - L'n'S is ABLE to see those kind of paths. Is it possible to make L'n'S to NOT to recognize those paths. That would be enough.
    Thanks

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Do you mean that an application like "C:\Program Files\ The Bat!\Thebat.exe" is sometime detected by Look 'n' Stop as something like "C:\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\Program Files\ The Bat!\Thebat.exe" ?

Maybe this happens when these Dynamic Disks are created after Look 'n' Stop is started. After all Dynamic Disks are setup, for a given Windows session, could you try to stop/restart Look 'n' Stop, and tell me if Look 'n' Stop will still give you some bad paths ?

Thanks,

Frederic

7. Samdor

Samdor Registered Member

Yes, they are. Here are the examples (program 1C, The Bat!):
    lns_1.jpg
    lns_4.jpg
    And here is an example of the program Microsoft Outlook, if this program is up and running, and configured for mail check-outs in automatic mode, then after each operation of mail request to
    server, there is a request asking permissions for letting this program net access: lns_3.jpg
    After stop and restart of Look'n'Stop, bad paths are still resolved by program and ask the permission for net access.
    Thanks

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

=> just to be sure I've understood properly: so after doing that, it works ?

Frederic

9. Samdor

Samdor Registered Member

Yes, if I permit the application network access, using the path "C:\Device\HarddiskDmVolumes\PhysicalDmVolumes\Program Files\ The Bat!\Thebat.exe" then the application works correct. If I disallow the permission, then the application cannot access the network despite of the right way I've given it, for example "C:\Program Files\ The Bat!\Thebat.exe"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.