Problem with DSL Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DSLNovice, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSLNovice

DSLNovice Guest

Hi,

I have a problem accessing internet through my DSL connection. This is what happened: I have DSL connection by adding an ethernet cable from my laptop through someone else's router. I had no problems accessing internet in the past. However, I brought my laptop computer to another location where they had a different network server. So, I plugged my ethernet cable from laptop to the network server of this new location and I can also access internet with ease. The problem started when I brought home my laptop, plugged the ethernet cable back to my DSL switch, clicked on Internet Explorer. After that, the screen said, "Web page is unavailable." So, I ran the internet connection wizard. I clicked on setting the LAN connection manually and then I clicked on automatic detection of proxy. Afterwards, I clicked "Finish." I still cannot get internet connection. What seems to be the problem? All help are welcomed.

Thank you.

DSLNovice

2. DSLNovice

DSLNovice Guest

I forgot to add. The connection "light" is on, but I can't open up any webpages. I have:

Dell Latitude Cpi
    Pentium II 266Mhz
    64MB RAM
    Windows 98 SE
    2 PC Card Slots (Currently using 1 slot for PCMCIA ethernet card)

Thank you.

DSLNovice

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

You might want to force a new DNCP lease as you may be attempting to continue off the previous leased obtained on the other network.

Its been a while since I did this on Win98 but this should work

Open iup a command prompt window

Type "ipconfig /release_all" and then hit enter

Type "ipconfig /renew_all" and then hit enter

Then try to access the web. If it still does not work type at the command prompt

"ipconfig" and then enter

and note the first number in your IP address (i.e. the number before the first dot) and post that in a reply here. For privacy purposes please do not post your entire address, the first octet will suffice for troubleshooting in any case.

HTH,

Dan

4. DSLNovice

DSLNovice Guest

Hi Dan,

Yep, it works. Thank you.

DSLNovice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.