Problem with DrWeb: Can't update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BoogyMan, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

I just installed DrWeb 4.30a and when i try to update i get the message "connection with the server could not be established." Any help? Thanks.

2. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

works fine here (just tested)
    make sure the update url is set to updates.sald.com/drweb in drweb (main scanner not in the real time scanner) >options >change settings >update

otherwise maybe your firewall is blocking it..just a guess

3. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

The problem is related to Drweb. Icouldn't access to any sites in the internet after installing it. That's why i could not update. Uninstalling Drweb everything is ok now. I wanted to use it beacuse it is light on resources and very good scanner for viruses and trojans. Now i have to look for something else :oops: . Iwas using Kaspersky but is is very heavy on resources. Any alternatives for a good antivirus program that combines virus and trojan decection? I was thinking of installing Norton Antivirus Corporate, F-prot, BitDefender or Mcafee. Your opinions on these?

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

never had such a problem with drweb...weird

avp (old kav) from avp.ch is lightweight and offers kav protection

5. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Using McAfee Enterprise v7.1.0 here, incredibly fast and light on the system. My favorite so far. Have you tried Trend Micro's I.S. 2004? You can remove their firewall in their tools section, and add your own. Seems fast and light. ;)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have the personal email address for a very helpful support techie at DrWeb. I would send it to you by {PM} but I don't think he wants it posted on the internet.

An advantage of registering with this forum is that it enables people who want to help you to send you personal messages {PM}.

However, an email to the following might get you some help...

support at antivir dot ru

7. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

Tahoma i looked at the site avp.ch but i found avp only for dos and linux. For Windows i only found Kaspersky 4.5, 3.5 and 3.0.132. Swisscoms McAfee Enterprise is also for home use?

8. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

I just installed DrWeb in another hard disk with Windows XP installed and everything worked ok! Very strange o_O

9. swisscoms

It sure is, you can try it at:

http://www.nai.com/us/products/mcafee/antivirus/email/vs.htm

and a test from PC Mag here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1116264,00.asp

I hope this helps. :)

10. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

Unfortunately i have Windows 98SE so i can't use McAfee Enterprise

11. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

Is norton antivirus corporate compatible with windows 98se?

12. swisscoms

Yes, the 8.1 Client version is as follows:

System Requirements for Clients
    Windows

Windows 98/98 SE/Me; Windows NT 4.0 Workstation/Server/Terminal Server Edition with Service Pack 6a; Windows 2000 Professional/Server/ Advanced Server; Windows XP Home/Professional; Windows Server 2003 Web/Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter
    32 MB RAM minimum (64 MB or higher recommended)
    46 MB disk space (80 MB during installation)
    Intel Pentium processor (Pentium II or higher recommended)

Link: http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/antivirus/index.html#System

I have found this latest version is a big improvement on their earlier versions, and web surfing is faster now.

13. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

How does NOD32 v2 perform in dececting trojans among the other antivirus programs?

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

It depends on the comparison. For the moment, NOD32 is an antivirus first and foremost - and top of the bill in that regard. There are antiviruses performing (much) worse as for trojans/backdoors - there are antiviruses performing (much) better. That said: NOD32 is improving fast in this context.

That said: As mentioned before, layered defense is the safest way to go. Never put all eggs in just one basket. A top notch antivirus in conjunction with a resident running top notch antitrojan is recommended.

regards.

paul

15. BoogyMan

BoogyMan Guest

My system is old and i can't have many programs at startup

16. swisscoms

All you have to do is go the Start->Run-> type msconfig-> OK and click the AT program off in the Startup. Leave the AV program clicked ON though, as you need the scanner to be running all the time for your protection. You can use the AT program every few days manually instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.