Problem with downloading new databases

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by ragna, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragna

ragna Registered Member

Every time when i check for "New Port and Domain Databases" , i get the message: do you want to download the new databases now.I do want that , so i click "yes" but then i always get the message" error connecting to the internet" o_O
    If i then try again, i immediately get the message" error connecting to the internet" again.

My internet connection is working fine as far as i know.So what is here wrong?
    Does anybody know the answer? :'(

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Ragna, i think your firewall may be blocking Port Explorer from accessing the Internet.
    Can you please tell us what firewall you are using? Hopefully we can give you the required settings.

HTH. Pilli

3. ragna

ragna Registered Member

Thanks pilli, but i am not sure that's the problem because when i shut my ZoneAlarmPro down, i still can't download.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm, Not sure about ZA as I do not use it, closing it down may not be the answer in this case.
    I have just updated mine successfully, hopefully a ZA user can help.

What other security apps do you have running?

Pilli

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am using Zone Alarm, and it should not be any issue there. First time you try an update, ZA will just challenge and ask permission. Just click yes, and remember this answer and then ZA will be out of the picture.

6. ragna

ragna Registered Member

Indeed that is wat it does.It isn't ZoneAlarm, because a friend has it also , and he got no problems.
    Pilli i've also Norton antivirus installed, but nothing other special ( yes Search and destroy, Spyblaster, and so on..., but that shouldn't be the problem)

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again Ragna, Does the "who is" function correctly when you select an ip address? Or try pinging me etc on 81.105.28.14

8. ragna

ragna Registered Member

Hi again Pilli,
    Thanks for helping me out.
    Whois works and gives details for 81.105.28.14.
    However I can't ping this ip-address. Trace gives a route up to 80.4.30.134 which is at ntli.net and then stops.
    Does that ring a bell?

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ragna wrote:
    Good so it is not your firewall by the look of it :)
    Ping is refused at my end so you only see the Cable company's "Head end" Where as "who is" is not :)

OK attached is a Screen shot of my pc getting the update, it may give you an idea, hosts file problem possibly?

Attached Files:

10. ragna

ragna Registered Member

o_O o_O and how can i fix that?
    Do you know some books which explain that?

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you do not use a hosts file then it probably is not the problem :)

This might work though, uninstall Port Explorer and reboot - Disable all running applications, re-install then reboot.
    All I can think of is that something interferedwith the initial install and that a clean install may do the trick.

12. ragna

ragna Registered Member

Well, tried that several times but still got the same problem.

So absolutly tired of this (and another problem i had on this comp too, not related to this), i decided to do a full format :eek: .

And tadaa: problem solved (so far, lol, since the only programs i installed yet are windows, total uninstall and port explorer).

Thanks again for all your help and support Pilli :)

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again Ragna :D I have just done the same thing on this PC after installing a new Motherboard and Graphics card, it is now like a new machine.
    Whilst you are doing your reinstall can I suggest that you get Process Guard, it can protect your PC better than any other programme and without the need for daily updates, it is particularly useful for protecting your other apps such as firewall & AV - AT etc. All part of a layered defence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.