Problem with corrupted partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by _043, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _043

_043 Registered Member

Hello everyone, I've got a problem and I hope someone will help me resolve it... Yesterday I desided to split my C: partition (12 GB were free at the time) and create a new partition about 6.5 GB. And of course the power went off for the first time in half a year when splitting was at about 9%. Now, when I begin to boot my XP, the boot screen appears for five seconds, and then the computer restarts. Acronis DDS on the bootable CD shows that C: now has about 60 GB free. So what should I do now to preserve the data that was on C:? Or is it lost forever? I really need an anwser... Thanks in advance.

2. atitlan

atitlan Registered Member

Exactly the same thing happened to me about three months ago.

I installed OSS from Disk Director 10 on another Windows XP Pro SP2 system. Once it was properly setup and operational, I moved the hard disk with the damaged partition onto it as a slave drive.

[Be sure you nail all the aspects of installing and running OSS. I would suggest you also do a partition image backup of the second, host system immediately prior to installing/running OSS as an additional precaution. Before installing the second disk with Wxp on the damaged partition, assign a unique volume name to the host/master partition and further assign that partition/instance of Wxp a new, unique name from within OSS.]

As soon as Windows XP on the master drive booted via OSS, it displayed the detection of the damaged partition (on the slave drive) and proceeded to repair it - in Windows.

Subsequently I ran the Disk Error Checker of the old Partition Magic v.7 (not Vista compatible) on that disk as well and it confirmed that Wxp had completely repaired the partition and file system (NTFS).

When the disk with the formerly damaged partition was reinstalled as the master drive in its original PC, it - and Windows XP - resumed normal operation.

Hope you repeat my positive experience.

3. _043

_043 Registered Member

Well, everything became even worse... I mounted the drive on another working system, the bios there recognizes the drive, but says that it's maximum capacity is 6,51 Gb, while the drive is a 120 Gb ST3120022A Seagate Barracuda. Disk Manager on Win XP also sees only 6,51 Gb and sees the drive as unformatted. Acronis DDS doesn't see the drive at all. The bios on the old system also doesn't see the the whole drive, and XP doesn't even begin to boot - a Disk Read Error comes up. So I really don't know what to do next and why the bios doesn't see all the drive... Hope someone can help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.