Problem With Backup Email Notification

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whitedavidp, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedavidp

whitedavidp Registered Member

Just changed some tasks in TI 10 so they email their success or failure. Test messages get sent and delivered just fine while editing the tasks. However, nothing ever arrives from actual runs of the backup task (which were completed fine otherwise). These are manually started if that means anything using a shortcut to the script such as

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\01F68A2B-27B0-4564-93BE-711F1E8F94F1.tib.tis"

Any ideas as to what may be happening? I have reviewed the tasks again and still see that they are set to email. So it is not that the changes failed to be saved.

I checked the task's log files and see nothing about the email attempt. Is this to be expected? Since the email is supposed to contain the detailed log, this doesn't seem odd to me but maybe it is a clue to someone else.

Also please note the following:

(a) I have already checked the recipient's email account (gmail) and the messages are NOT stuck in the server's spam filter.

(b) I have already checked the recipient's email client (Thunderbird) and the messages are NOT being eaten by its junk mail filters.

(c) I have already checked the firewall on the sender's computer (Live OneCare) and I see that Acronis TI is not prohibited from internet access. I believe the successful test emails show this anyhow but it did not hurt to double-check.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello whitedavidp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The thing is that the script files you use to start the backup manually contain the information on the backup process only (information on what data to back up, the destination for the image and the backup options set). In case one starts the Acronis True Image Home backup tasks through the command line there won't be pre/post commands execution and the e-mail notifications also won't work.

We recommend you to start that tasks manually from the Acronis True Image Home interface by double-clicking on them or create a schedule to have run them automatically.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

3. whitedavidp

Thanks very much for the response. This explains everything. I have set Acronis TI up this way on my mom's computer because she is not very computer literate and I needed a way to ensure that she could easily start a backup process. Scheduling the task will not work in this situation (works fine on my wife's computer though). Are there any TI command-line arguments that can be used to start a specific task AND get full functionality (like email notification)? I really need nothing more complex for my mother than a desktop icon. Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Hello whitedavidp,
    Unfortunately there is no other way to enable e-mail notifications than running the tasks from the product user's interface.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

5. whitedavidp

Well this is somewhat misleading. I have checked inside the script file that is being referenced and the email information does seem to be included. It may be true that TI is not reading this and doing the whole job. But it is not, as you imply, because the script file contains "information on the backup process only (information on what data to back up, the destination for the image and the backup options set)".

Meanwhile, I have written a little VbScript file that automates the use of the full TI user interface so that email will get sent. This script can be run easily by my mother (just like how it was before). But it is a terrible klugde and Acronis should find a way to make the entire script configuration available from the command line.

6. Acronis Support

Hello whitedavidp,

Please accept our sincere apologies for giving you not fully correct information. Of course all the backup task settings including the e-mail notifications presets are stored in the Acronis True Image xml script files for scheduled jobs.
    You're absolutely right. Acronis True Image command line support doesn't include a possibility to handle additional features such as notifications currently.

However we would like to inform you that the future versions of Acronis True Image Corporate Family most probably will have such a feature to start tasks with the additional options such as notifications, Acronis True Image Home product itself doesn't have the official command line interface support and therefore we cannot guarantee that similar improvements will be made to the Home version.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

7. menola

menola Registered Member

I'd be very much interested in having a look at your script in hope that I could adapt it to my own situation.

-jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.