Problem with Acronis True Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bornloser, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bornloser

Bornloser Registered Member

I am new to the True Image software. I installed it and created rescue discs then made an archive of my primary hard drive which has 2 partitions. C partition is labeled "Programs" and D is labeled "Games". I stored the archive onto my second hard drive which is labeled "Backup" (E). I booted the system with the rescue disc to test it. When I go to restore, Backup is labeled "D" and Games is labeled "E". o_O Is there a reason for this odd behavior or is it a glitch of some kind?

2. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

Not sure why, but the important thing is that you can identify your source and target partitions, regardless of what the boot up platform has labelled them.

If you are restoring an OS, when you boot it, the drive names will be as they were at the time of backup, regardless of what they are called during the restoration process.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bornloser,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Here is the explanation of the situation.
    When you boot from Acronis bootable disk Linux operational system is booted and it assigns letters to partitions in the following way:
    It finds your first drive and the first primary partition on it is given a letter C. Then it finds the second primary partition on the same disk and if there is no any it goes to the next drive and finds the first primary partition there. After all primary partitions on all drives in the system have their letters Linux finds first logical partition on the first drive etc.

In your case you are likely to have C (Programs) and E (Backup) as primary partitions and D (Games) as a logical one. According to your description it looks like the algorythm described above works properly.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

4. Zintar

Zintar Guest

If this bugs you, get rid of active/primary partitions on your backup disks. Unfortunately practically everyone ships disks partitioned this way and while it is great for people installing their primary disk, it has also confused people adding disks for years. Windows XP/2000 uses a different letter assignment scheme which fixes this issue but causes a few of it's own, including confusion for being different from the way other software assigns drive letters.

I did this on my parent's PC because I knew the drive letter reassignments would confuse them, but TI will still work fine without this step as long as you look at the drive labels instead of the letters.

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

In XP, you can change the drive letters around yourself (right click My Computer, choose Manage, Disk Management, you can swap drive letters around), which further confuses things when you then need to use TI from boot CD.

Because of all the issues mentioned in this thread, I prefer when software handles reporting drives by controller location, and forget about muddying the water with inconsistent drive letter assignments.

In other words,
    Primary Master
    Primary Slave
    Secondary Master
    Secondary Slave
    SATA-1
    SATA-2
    SATA-3
    SATA-4

and under each one of these show the partition information for each drive. Obviously the drive/partition labels, size info, etc should also be shown so it's still just as easy to know which drive/partition is which.

For example, I know that my hardware configuration has the secondary slave drive is my 80gb drive. It always will be there regardless of the drive letter assigned to it. Unless I open the case and move the drive around, or re-partition the drive.

Software that does the drive reporting this way is much less confusing. IMO

6. Bornloser

Bornloser Registered Member

Thanks to all for the replys. Especially to Ilya Toytman for the perfect explanation. The situation does not bother me. The important thing is that the recovery process will work if and when it is needed, and it looks like it will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.