problem with a trojan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by guest, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Hi I am having some major issues with a Trojan.
    This is the info NOD32 gives me,

Time
    2/2/2006 15:52:56 PM
    Module Object
    AMON
    File Name
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmsmgs.exe
    Threat
    Win32/Codbot trojan
    Action
    quarantined - deleted
    User
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Information
    Event occurred at an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe.

So I ended that file wmsmgs.exe comes up everytime my pc starts, even though I deleted it from the start up it still starts up and I am not sure which process starts it. Also my pc loads very very very slowly now when I boot up, once in windows and I ctrl+alt+delete and close the wmsmgs.exe process then it is fine. I really need help with this one guys, thanks.

2. shanijee

shanijee Registered Member

start computer in safe mode and then scan your pc with nod32
    the virus is in your windows memory
    Q Has Been A

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Sounds like you need to do a Hijack This! scan/log. That program is available here: http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Log analysis is not available from Wilders anymore but if you send me the log (via PM) I'll be more than happy to look at it for you. Just do not fix entries without havin the log analyzed.

4. guest

guest Guest

shanijee I tried to run in safe mode and run nod32 scan but it said this:
    Error occurred while scanning operating memory. System memory cannot be scanned (the kernel service is not running or an error occurred while loading nod32m1.vxd).

5. guest

guest Guest

n8chavez i have sent you the scan log.

6. guest

guest Guest

I actually think i deleted the file, but for some reason where time my computer boots up it loads the trojan, but when windows actually starts it doesn't load it because i took it off from start up. so that is why my windows loads soooo slowly because of the trojan, but once in windows my pc seems fine.

can anyone help me with this tricky one?
    perhaps some NOD32 employee or something

7. guest

guest Guest

windows still loads very very slow before i log into my windows account, and also sometimes my system process and system idle process takes 100% of resources when i am not doing much.

hopefully someone can help me track this thing down because i really don't want to format.

8. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

Have you tried booting into safe mode and instead of using NOD32 to try to get rid of the trojan, use something like ewido or some other trojan scanner to see if it can detect and remove the file properly?

9. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Have you tried looking in your Services. (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services) ?
    Perhaps it's something there. ;) Or if you can't manage it, try to scan you PC online with Bit Defender or install ewido. :)

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

The System Idle Process is *supposed* to take up 100% of the CPU when the computer is idle. This is by design. It is more or less how Windows says, "Nothing is going on." ;)

Of course, anything else taking up 100% would be a problem. When looking at the process list in the Task Manager, you can sort by the different categories by clicking on the headers. For example, to sort by CPU usage, click on the header that says "CPU" once to sort it in descending order, and again to sort it in ascending order. This makes it meuch easier to see what it sucking up all the CPU.

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

When I'm doing nothing, my pc is doing something. Probably indexing files or something. Quite normal though.

12. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Maybe so, but then those other processes would show CPU usage. System Idle Process accounts for CPU time that has not been assigned to any threads. By its definition, then, when the computer is perfectly idle, it will be at 100%. Since the computer never is truly idle, it hovers in the 97%-99% range when "nothing" is going on.

13. divedog

divedog Registered Member

It should look like this.

Attached Files:

14. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi:

Did you turn off system restore, reboot and then run a Scan & Clean?

15. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Have you tried a scan in safe mode with Ewido? Have you tried a Hijack this log?

16. guest

guest Guest

ok i think i am going to give this Ewido program a try, can i install it ontop of NOD32 without a problem? because i know security programs often conflict with each other.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There should be no issue at all but if you do run into problems Please do post about the problem in our ewido anti-malware forum.

18. guest

guest Guest

No that Ewido program found nothing, it just found some cookies that's it.

19. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.