Problem with 4.0.437.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Jon8c, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon8c

Jon8c Registered Member

Well, I really don't know what happened, but I'm using Smart Security v4.0.437.0 and its real-time protection is making several of my applications stall, which ultimately makes my entire Windows stall in a short time after. As some background info, I recently reinstalled Windows XP Pro x86 and upgraded from a previous version of v4 Smart Security (most likely '314' or something, can't remember) to the '437' version. Now, whenever I run JV16 PowerTools or ImgBurn, my computer freezes. If I disable real-time protection, both programs open normally. If I add them to the 'Exclusions' list, they open normally, as well. But, I have a strong feeling that there will be several others that Smart Security will also conflict with. Moreover, disabling 'Advanced Heuristics' everywhere listed in the settings for the real-time protection prevents the stall and reduces the lag, but there is still a noticeable wait time before the programs open. The only option that completely stops the lag, besides disabling real-time protection or adding the .exe's as exclusions, is unticking the 'File' option under the 'Setup' for real-time protection. None of this ever happened with the previous version I used. Any suggestions or something I did wrong before I downgrade? o_O

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'd suggest unistalling and then re-installing first. Something from the earlier build might have gone a bit haywire when 437 was installed causing your problem.

3. Jon8c

Jon8c Registered Member

Uh, I don't really understand how the previous build could affect the newer build. The older one was installed on a different Windows installation. To be more clear, I installed the older version on my previouws XP, then I reinstalled a fresh copy of XP when I changed my hard drive. I installed the new '437' version on the latter clean copy of Windows. So there shouldn't be anything conflicting from the prior version.

4. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Why would you enable runtime packers and advanced heuristic for extisting files? In advanced setup you can set them for newly created files and for changed ones, that should make you compeltly safe - as long as you don't have a infected system yet :)-))

Ruben

5. Jon8c

Jon8c Registered Member

I guess that makes sense... But, like I said, disabling 'Advanced Heuristics', etc. doesn't solve my problem. It alleviates the lag a little, but it doesn't make NOD32 function as I experienced before. I'm probably just going to downgrade back to '314' if I can find the installer again.

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

You don't need Runtime Packers and advanced heuristics enabled for all files, Newly created files is fine. That should restore the speed your are looking for. There is a reason the default settings are what they are, setting it as you have slows down performance with no increased benefit or security.

7. eldraque

eldraque Registered Member

Hi,
    I have the same problem: running Imgburn with ESS results in BSOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.