Problem with 2nd HDD on DVD caddy

Discussion in 'hardware' started by dogbite, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I just upgraded my Lenovo B50-70 with an SSD. Then I moved the original HDD (let's call it HDD1)to a DVD caddy, to use as main storage for data, music, etc.
    No way I could make it work. I mean, I tested 3 different caddies. The HDD1 is not seen even by BIOS. Actually this HDD1 works just fine...tested on different machines connected via USB, no problems at all.
    Those caddies are really poor quality, so first I thought about a defect even if 3 all defective seems not likely.
    So to make another test I put another HDD (coming from my wife's laptop now upgraded to SSD too, I call it HDD2) in the caddy: perfectly detected by BIOS.

This is something I do not understand....the only difference between the to HDD's are: thickness (HDD2 is thicker) and rated transfer speed (HDD2 is 3Gb/s, while HDD1 is 6Gb/s).
    At the end, I simply swapped the two, re-cloning my wife's laptop on HDD1 and mounting HDD2 on my B50.

Any idea?
    Thanks

EDIT: found the culprit. The HDD2 is Sata II and I am pretty sure the DVD bay is Sata II so maybe it could not detect the Sata III HDD1.
    Maybe I should try with another HDD Sata III.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Check for a force 3GB/s/SATA2 jumper on the SATA3 drive.

Also, make sure your Master/Slave jumper is correct.

~ Removed OT Remarks ~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Ok thanks!

4. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

OK I don't know why my "off-topic remarks" were removed but do NOT look for a Master/Slave jumper on a SATA drive as there isn't one--my pointing that out was removed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.