Problem using TI Home 10 recovery CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by crabhed, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabhed

crabhed Registered Member

Hi, all. If anyone can help me with the following issue, I would appreciate it. Here goes...

I have installed TI Home 10 on my desktop computer in order to create the bootable rescue media. I created the rescue CD (both versions of TI Home) and then uninstalled the program from my desktop computer (to be legal).

I am trying to use the rescue media CD on my laptop to create an image of my system partition. When I try to load the full version I get pages of fatal errors before the program finally comes up. There is no USB support as I thought there should be. Clue...my USB mouse doesn't work. I want to save the image to my external HDD. I restarted the rescue CD and then tried loading the "safe" option. It comes up but does not see my external HDD (USB interface). BTW, USB mouse is working using the "safe" option. Is this because the "safe" version does not load USB drivers and therefore will not see any drive (or other device) plugged into the laptop USB ports?

Should I try the full version again (with the load errors) to see if my external HDD is seen?

As a last resort, can I create the image (using the "safe" load) and save it to my laptop HDD instead of the external HDD. Then move the file from my laptop HDD to my external HDD? Will I be able to restore the newly created image from the image file even though the file is no longer in the same place that it was created and saved to?

Thanks for your help.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Search this forum for the message with the instructions on how to add a command USB2=Off when booting from the Recovery CD. It's in one of the "stickies" at the start of the forum.

Your notebook's BIOS offers USB mouse support, so it works in SAFE mode, but you won't see the external USB drive since the drivers aren't loaded.

Yes, and try the above command as well.

The problem is that although you could create the image on the same partition, you can't restore the image from the same partititon. So, you would have no way to restore the image.

You could partition the hard drive so that there is a second partition, but if you can't boot the system, you wouldn't have a way to copy an image from an external drive to the second partition. Also, in the event of a hard drive failure, any image stored on the second partition would also be lost.

Read how to create a BartPE disk and try that for booting your notebook. It has the Windows drivers, so it should work better than the standard TI Recovery CD for you.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Yes, Acronis will let you create and save the backup file on the same disk. Also, as jmk94903 stated, Acronis will not let you restore the backup--as long as it resides on the same drive. However, once you move the file to another disk off the original drive (such as an external or DVD), then the backup file can be used to restore the original backed up drive.

4. random110

random110 Registered Member

I'm fairly sure its not... The licence agreement specifies a 'single computer'.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello crabhed,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Acronis Bootable Rescue Media needs to be recreated with the new build as well.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post (please also try "usbmouse=off" additionally).

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep all drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.