problem updating definitions

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Stormtrooper, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Guest

Since I downloaded spyware Ive been trying to run live update & I get a message, error getting info file from server, server may be temporaraly unavailable or it could be caused by a firewall on your pc,

Im running Norton Internet security & I still get the message when I disable norton, but spyware blaster updates ok, do I need to uninstall & reinstall,

Thanks Stormtrooper

2. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Greetings,
    I have been having the same problem off and on for two weeks however for the past three days it has been a complete no-go and I am not running NIS. Tried turning off this and that and reinstalling both SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard as both behave the same way. Still no luck. No other update problems w/anything else o_O

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The update files for SpywareGuard all appear to be available at their normal locations. (The update is actually nothing more than the downloading of 4 text files that are located on a webserver at javacoolsoftware.com. The updater makes a normal web connection to port 80 of that javacool server and pulls down the 4 files.)

Javacool posted the direct download locations of these files over in the thread linked below. You should see if you get get to those files in your browser, just to make sure the server is available from your system. If you can pull them in your browser, then we need to see why exactly the built-in updater is being blocked.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12274;start=msg78836#msg78836

Rainwalker -

The SpywareBlaster updates are working fine right now. In the thread linked below, Javacool describes clearing a problem with SpywareBlaster's updates and setting the Alternative Download method. Now, the example is for when a specific error occurs which may not be what you are seeing, but it's worth taking a look at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266;start=msg78815#msg78815

Look under item (4) for the work-around.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Since I installed SpywareGuard for issue reproducing SpywareGuard LiveUpdate has been functioning properly. :doubt:

5. Rainwalker

Greetings,
    Ok..... thank you for your time and consideration. Out of curiosity I turned off my default(mozilla) after attemping to update one more time then went to IE to attempt update...it worked so I turned off IE and went back to the BIG M then update programs in both Blaster&Guard seemed to be working. :eek: :p Any ideas? Thanks again

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I don't really have any specific explanation, but, I have to wonder if it'll continue working through system reboots and reconnections. (You're on direct dialup Internet access... no router... no proxies, right?)

I can only think that for some reason SpywareBlaster couldn't determine how to get out on the network until IE was fired up. The image below is from SpywareBlaster's Settings screen. If I recall correctly, the default setting for Updates is the middle option - "Use the system connection / proxy settings."

If the problem returns, try setting the option shown in the image (use direct connection...), restart it, and try running the update process again. Of course, if you do use a proxy, then fill in the specific information in the third option. And, there's always the alternative method for extreme cases.

Attached Files:

7. Rainwalker

LWM Thanks again....Yes you are correct about my connection and i have also been wondering how long things would continue to work, so far so good. When i was having problems i did try changing the settings you indicated. It made no difference. Well anywhy good for now. :)

8. Rainwalker

Well forks.......... just in case anyone is interested ( i'm not sure i am) the update problem has reappeared as before and as before when i close Mozilla and open IE all is well and then close IE and reopen M everything is hunky-dory.
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.