problem saving backups to secondary harddrive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pchelp, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pchelp

pchelp Registered Member

I am having a problem using TI 9 to save a backup of my system partition to the second hard drive in my pc. When I try to backup the C: partition from my main hard drive onto my secondary hard drive the secondary hard drive makes a noise as if it is turning off and then back on (same sound it makes when I shut down/power up the pc). It will make this noise several times and after the backup finishes it is corrupt.

My main drive is 2 maxtor 6v250f0 drives in raid0 and the secondary hard drive is a single western digital wd1600js. The drives run off of a dfi lanparty UT ultra-d motherboard.

If I save the backup to the main hard drive it works fine, also if I copy the good backup to the secondary hard drive it copies fine, only when I use TI to backup from the main to secondary drive does it have the problem.

I like the TI program and would like to use it as my backup solution but if I cannot save directly to the second drive it is no good to me.

If anyone else has had similar problem or any helpful info it would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

I assume you are using Ti in windows. Try the boot cd and see if it reckognizes your hardware. Use the forum search function to find various raid workarounds.

Be aware that imaging and restoring only the C partition will not produce a bootable restored drive, you must image the complete os drive.

3. pchelp

pchelp Registered Member

Yes I am running the backup in windows. TI recognizes the hardware fine it's just that when ever TI writes to the second hard drive, wether it be a small file backup job or a whole drive image, it causes the drive to either reset or shut off or goto sleep or something of that sort (the drive appears/sounds to power down and then spin back up, this only happens when TI is writing to the drive it has never happened during other operations). The backup job always completes but the backup is always corrupt, I would assume due to the drive powering off and spinning back up several times during the job.

I will try out the boot cd and see if I get the same behaviour, thanks for your reply.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pchelp and noonie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Most likely there are some issues with your secondary hard drive.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. pchelp

pchelp Registered Member

Hi I have an update to this problem.

I tried the boot cd and it is able to create backups between the 2 drives without any problems, works perfect creates and verifies the backup.

I am now thinking that the problem is being caused by some sort of problem between TI 9 and the driver for the sata controller (my mobo has nforce4 chipset and currently using nvidia's latest nforce4 drivers, nvatabus.sys is the file for the sata controller).

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pchelp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem still persists after installing the update and checking the hard drives then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging, try to create an image once more and see the result.

If that does not help then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also do as Kirill has suggested and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application?

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot;

Note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.