Problem restoring to Win 8

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mep, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mep

mep Registered Member

I purchased a new Dell XPS One 27 Touch which is running Windows 8 64 bit. I installed Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free and made a complete backup of the hard drive to a drive in my Win 7 laptop over my home network. Now when I try to restore the Dell from the Restore Wizard in windows I am able to select the backup from the laptop drive and proceed through the wizard. When I click "apply" to restore the disk I get the following error message: "Volume exclusive access is required to complete the operation."
    I then made a bootable CD with the Recovery Media Builder, booted up but could not figure out a way to get to the backup on the laptop drive.
    Any suggestion?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

How is the laptop drive connected?

Maybe the Linux recovery doesn't have the right drivers.

3. mep

mep Registered Member

1) Should I be able to restore from the wizard in windows? I am able to navigate to the backup on the laptop drive this way but then get the "Volume exclusive access" error message when I click apply. Within that error message box there is a link "What files prevent operation completion?" When I click this link I get a list of 60+ processes and files in use.
    2) The new computer and the laptop are both hooked to my router with Ethernet cables. The CD was made with the "Typical" button checked. (Use the standard Recovery Media image supplied with the program.)
    To boot from this CD I have to change boot setup from UEFI to Legacy boot mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.