Problem restoring emails RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pratzert, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I am using Rollback Rx and did a SnapShot Roll back last evening ( Nov.4th ) to October 24th.

That went well.

But I wanted to restore any emails I had received/sent since Oct.24th to Nov.1st.

I selected the snapshot from Nov.1st.... searched for the Outlook express folder and it coul dnot find it after searching for an hour.

So I opened the Nov.1st snapshot as a Virtual drive and searched for the Outlook Exoress folder. I knew it was under %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

I located the folder and files and selected them to be "Restored". But after opening up my emails, I learned all I had were emails up to and included Oct.24th.

I tried it several times.. restoring the files and also tried to entire Outlook Express Folder.

Why can't I get the emails to restore? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I often recover Outlook's email by using RB's Recover Files ...by type (.pst for Outlook) and it always works perfectly. I haven't used Outlook Express for some time, but I seem to recall that it's related files are .dbx, .mbx, and .wab.

So try recovery those files from your Nov 1 snapshot using the method I suggested above and I think you will be ok.

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am not expert enough with Rollback to solve your problem, but i have another advice:

If you have a second hard disk, change OE's store folder to a folder in your 2nd hard disk. This is what i do. I have my mails folder stored in D:. So your mails are never affected by rollbacks, they are always in the other hard disk untouched.

4. Aaron Here

While that's a good idea, it doesn't address the current problem.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Very true, i myself admitted that i can't help him on solving this one.

I just threw the idea, so , in case he has a 2nd hard disk, in the future he won't have the need to restore mails or worry about Rollback errors. That's all.

6. Aaron Here

I would agree that its a good idea to keep all data, docs, etc. on another drive - or on another partition of the C-drive. I always re-partition my C-drive so that my C-partition is just large enough for Windows and my applications. I then create a D-partition to hold all of my data, docs, music, and photos.

A huge advantage of doing this for RB users is that with a small C-partition performing a sector-by-sector image backup (which maintains the integrity of the RB environment) is accomplished quickly and doesn't use too much space on the backup drive! :thumb:

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

How about restoring the the Nov state (if you still have it) and then saving (backing up to a thumb drive for example) the e-mails. Then, once this is done, you can revert back to the Oct state and then import the backed up docs.

8. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I think that is what I am going to do.

I have used a free email backup before called Genie-Soft for Outlook Express and it works pretty well.

Thanks to all for the help.

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Your most welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.