Problem restoring a partition.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vpaul, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpaul

vpaul Registered Member

I sent the following information and a report to Acronis Support Friday morning after I didn’t receive a response from the first Email sent on 6/23/04. I admit that the first Email lacked information that would be required to analyze the problem, but Acronis did not respond.

I purchased two copies of TI 7.0 and registered both of them at the end of May. The first time I attempted to restore a partition on the PCG-GRT170 was on 6/23/04 and that’s when I encountered the problem.

I am posting in this forum hoping to get help before I am forced to request a refund on 6/28/04.

Environment:

Computer: Sony PCG-GRT170 running Windows XP (Home)
    Image Storage Device: Maxtor OneTouch 160 Ext. FireWire connected.

I created and verified disk and partition images from windows without difficulty.

When I tried to recover the C partition from windows, I received a message that the partition was active and to shut down all programs and try again. I felt doing this was
    not worth the effort.

I allowed Acronis to restart the computer. The software appeared to hang up while analyzing drive C. After several minutes the software proceeded to the next step and informed me to select the target partition. The only drive available to me was the Maxtor drive.

I started the computer with a recovery boot CD. The process proceeded without slow down or hang-up. When the time came to select the target drive, the only option available was the Maxtor drive.

It appears that the Acronis recovery software cannot locate my internal hard drive.

Thank you,

Paul

2. f123

f123 Guest

Can you boot back to the primary C partition? Is the internal HD properly connected? See if you can boot into the BIOS and reset to DEFAULT configuration. Save and exit. Also remove the nickel-sized battery on the motherboard for about 1/2 hour (1 day on some PCs) to reset the CMOS. Reboot PC with the Acronis boot disc. It is possilbe that there exist a glitch on the firewire system.

F.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, vpaul

Welcomed to Wilders and Acronis.

I would say not to reset you BIOS at the moment.

If C:\ is where your OS you can not restore an Image of it [C:\] from Windows,
    because you are asking Ti to overwrite it's self, as it is installed in Program files [C:\] [So can not gain exclusive access to the Partition]

When you Boot from Ti7 BootDisk.

If you expand My Computer in the Archive Windows you should see your Internal HDD.

Are you sure you are in the restore Image Window.

If so and your Image is on Maxtor 1Tch, what happen when you choose to retore
    the Image.

If you choose too restore an Image you should see you Internal HDD.

Shut down unlug your Maxtor 1Tch, restart you computer.

Shut down restart from the BootDisk [without the Maxtor 1Tch] does Ti see the Internal HDD.
    [if not found you will get an error warning no HDD found]

Please come back with you findings.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Thanks to TheQuest for appropriate questions... I'm waiting answers as well...

Also, could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to me? This would provide me with information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

5. vpaul

vpaul Registered Member

Thanks to all for responding.

TheQuest,

I started the computer with the Ti recovery CD and the Maxtor Ext. drive turned off.
    I received the error message “E000101F4 Acronis True Image has not found any hard disk drives.

Anton,

I created a report and attached it to the Email I sent to Acronis Support on Friday. How do I send this report to you? The file is too large to attach to this reply.

Additional information:

The hard drive in this notebook computer (Sony PCG-GRT170) is a HITACHI DK23EA-60. ATA-5 interface with 2048kb write/read cache.

I started my desktop computer (Sony PCV-RX660) with the ACRONIS recovery CD and had no problem finding the internal hard drive.

Thank You,

Paul

6. f123

f123 Guest

Perhaps there exist a firewire issue with the notebook. Can you still boot back to the internal primary C partition? Encountered similar problem with an IBM notebook a few years ago...cannot create an image file using Drive Image 4 if I added another RAM module to the PC. Tested both Crucial and Kingston factory RAMs. If I used the original 64MB factory RAM, then I can create and restore image files. Very strange.

Could be another IBM/Hitachi Deathstar. Would be curious to know if another program like Drive Image or BOOTITNG (free trial) could detect your internal HD. You can make the boot CD/flooppies from the desktop PC.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul --

I believe the best way is to contact me directly via e-mail : ag-at-acronis.com

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.