Problem:Restore Images Corrupt, Explore Images O.K.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rip1900, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rip1900

rip1900 Registered Member

Please help...
    We've been using TI8 (build 941) for a long while without problems. Backups have been completing without error. Occasionally I’ve checked each archive by verifying, mounting and copying data, or restoring.

One day, I attempted to mount the latest successful increment of one backup and received a "The image archive is corrupted" error. This was odd since that increment had just successfully completed and verified the night before. On the same archive, I could mount previous incremental dates. The next incremental backup was created without problems and verified o.k. Now I can mount the archive to this date (or any date before), but verifying or restoring return the "The image archive is corrupted" error.

After that, another archive (incremental) of a different HDD (notebook) that was always fine now shows the same problem. And a brand new full backup of the first drive completed and verified successfully, but returns the same error when attempting a restore (and now verify returns error too!)

I have four separate archives of three different HDDs:
    Archive1 - full image backup of HDD1 with 24 subsequent incremental images (200GB desktop drive)
    Archive2 - full image backup of HDD1 made after Archive1 failed to restore from any date. Image created with verification and passed. (Same 200GB desktop drive)
    Archive3 - full image backup of HDD2 (notebook drive, clean image before notebook was used)
    Archive4 - full image backup of HDD2 with 22 subsequent incremental images (same notebook drive but with user data)

Here's the problem...
    Archive1: Fails verify and will not restore - errors immediately with "The image archive is corrupted"
    Archive2: Fails verify and will not restore - errors at 99% restored "The image archive is corrupted"
    Archive3 - Passes verify and will restore to a blank drive
    Archive4: Fails verify and will not restore - errors at 99% restored with "The image archive is corrupted"

However...
    I can mount and explore ALL images; open or copy any files within ALL images.

I have run numerous diagnostics on the hardware including “memtest”, chkdsk, etc. and have had NO errors. The system is NOT over-clocked and there is nothing special about the computer.

Here's the computer setup:
    emachines C1904 Athlon XP 1900+ processor, 512mb RAM, two 200GB IDE HDDs (one with OS & APPs, one used as the archive storage)
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    True Image 8 (build 941)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
    (Please don't just suggest upgrading to the latest build of TI9 as that is not a fair nor valid solution for TI8 users!)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rip1900,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I am sorry but you said
    and then have mentioned only two (2) hard drives. Please correct me if I am wrong. Could you please clarify where did you store the image archives (local, external hard drive or another storage device)?

Please also boot you computer from Acronis True Image bootable CD and try to check these image archives using Check Image tool (Tool -> Check Image) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result?

Please also clarify if the image archive that passed the verification ("Archive3 - full image backup of HDD2") stored on the same drive as the image archives that did not pass the verification?

Please create a new image archive when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD and then verify this image by means of the embedded Check Image tool both when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD. Let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.