Problem resizing - "Operation terminated by user"

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ianhargreaves, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianhargreaves

ianhargreaves Registered Member

Hi,

I have a problem trying to resize a partition using Disk Director.
    (Using DD10 on Vista)

Here's my layout:
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 14 GB 32 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 14 GB 14 GB
    Partition 0 Extended 252 GB 27 GB
    Partition 3 Logical 252 GB 27 GB

partition 1 Vista1
    partition 2 VistaTest
    partition 3 Data

I'm using the option to increase free space in partition 2 from available space in partition 3.

The options get setup OK - when I commit the changes, I reboot.
    On reboot - I see someboot time messages about checking partitions.
    System reboots again - I see messages about syncing with the OS
    Then desktop appears and no changes have been made.

Log file says Operation teminated by User : but I didn't touch anything to terminate it.

Any ideas what's causing this??

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="2117" product="Acronis*Disk Director Suite" uuid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" version="10.0">
    <event code="1" id="1" message="Committing of pending operations has started." module="100" time="1201456471" type="2" />
    <event code="1005" id="2" message="Preparing for rebooting Windows..." module="10" time="1201456496" type="2" />
    <event code="503" id="3" message="Analyzing partition C:..." module="1" time="1201456496" type="2" />
    <event code="503" id="4" message="Analyzing partition H:..." module="1" time="1201456498" type="2" />
    <event code="1004" id="5" message="Rebooting Windows. Operations will be executed before the system starts..." module="10" time="1201456499" type="2" />
    <event code="3" id="6" message="Operation terminated by user." module="100" time="1201456499" type="3" />
    </log>

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Ian:

Operations that involve changes to system partitions on Vista often fail, and the error logs are not very informative. Your best bet is to do the operations from the recovery CD while Vista is not running. Probably the safest way to do this is to make one change at a time and check results before proceeding:

1. Boot from the recovery CD and start the safe mode version of DD (starts faster than the full mode version).
    2. Resize partition 3 smaller by dragging the left slider to the right, leaving free space in between the VistaTest and Data partitions.
    3. Commit and reboot into Vista to check (this step also re-registers the drive letter of the changed partition as D: when Vista boots).
    4. If OK, back to the recovery CD and this time resize partition 2 larger by dragging the slider to the right until all of the free space is incorporated in the VistaTest partition.
    5. Commit and then reboot.

3. ianhargreaves

Mark,
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I created a bootable CD but found I couldn't use the mouse, and unfortunatelty, unlike TrueImage, Disk Director cannot be used by keyboard only (no way to select a checkbox!!).

Tried disabling / enabling USB legacy support and the quiet usbmouse=off option .. all to no avail.
    - just to be clear .. I added "quiet usbmouse=off" to the startup paramters when using the rescue media builder - is that right?

I have USB mouse/keyboard only

Very disappointed as I specifically selected Disk Director after such a positive experience with TrueImage since version 7.

Ian.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Ian:

Have you tried the safe mode version of DD? Since it is DOS-based, it is more likely to work with your mouse than the Linux-based full mode version.

I would suggest that you file a support request with Acronis. They may be able to send you a custom ISO that will support your hardware. The Linux drivers in DD10 are showing their age now since the product has not been updated in quite a while.

As a temporary (and somewhat clunky) workaround, pressing the spacebar on your keyboard will select items in checkboxes.

5. ianhargreaves

Mark,

Another good suggestion - tried using DD safe mode .... after selecting this option, the DD suite loading page appeared, then the green bar stuck at 'analysing partion e ... ' - then have to hard reset.

Really appreciate your attempts to help on this, but doesn't look like I'm getting anywhere.

(Oh and I'd tried using spacebar, enter and a bunch of other keys to select the checkbox - all no good. I've got a BTC keyboard
    http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21keyboard.htm#9019urf )

Edited to add - I've now tried using a PS/2 keyboard and same problem - still can't select checkboxes. Radio buttons can be selected using keyboard but not checkboxes.

I've not seen many updates for this program - am I right in assuming not to expect a fix for this?

True Image is on the same recovery disk and everything works fine by keyboard on that application.

Is there another route to running the stand alone version of DD like using BartPE?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Absolutely. BartPE works and an even better alternative is VistaPE. Search the TI forum for posts by Mustang containing "Free VistaPE guide" for instructions. I used to use BartPE but am now hooked on VistaPE. I think you'll find it easier to build and VistaPE will work for repairing both XP and Vista systems.

Again, the fix is to submit a support request on the Acronis web page and to have them provide you with an updated ISO image for your recovery disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.