problem removing installer of Dr. Web, help!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wills, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I have been having an issue with my Any Dvd and Slysoft suggested to use the Dr. Web Cure It b/c it apparently gets rid of a particular trojan that can hang onto Any Dvd.
    I was given this link:
    http://www.freedrweb.com/

After I did the D/L and tried to install I got this error message from
    WIN RAR Self Extracting "The archive is either unknown or damaged. Cannot open C:........etc.

I did a search and deleted everything on Dr. Web and then did a Reg Clean and tried to d/l again and it keeps wanting me to Run or Save and when I click on Run it comes up with the same error message and is impossible to installo_O

The Icon is off my desktop as when I did the Search I deleted everthing and yet I can't rid of this Installer.

Help, and why would I be getting this error? Was I given a wrong Link as all I am trying to do is a scan as recommended by Slysoft.

I hope that someone has some ideas, thankyou.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, first run disk cleanup

all programs > accessories > system tools > diskc cleanup

clean your temp files

second,

www.freedrweb.com > download > this will download dr.web cure it

cureit is an antivirus scanner / remover that does NOT install on your system,

also, this link below will install 'windows installer clean up' which will remove installers from your machine (whichever you choose, its not automatic)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

good luck, and enjoy.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I had some problems setting this up initially, too. The symptoms sound similar. Post at DrWeb here: http://forum.drweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=3999 (No resolution).
    Part of the problem was attempting to open (or do anything at all with) that temp file.[Access Denied!] Had to reboot into safe and alter the security permissions of it, following which it worked fine until the next update.
    Some steps and info that work for me:
    It's a stand alone application, as stated, it doesn't install. (Like CWShredder, or Bazooka)
    Download it to where you want to access it from, eg a handy folder, or the desktop.
    When it tells you to update, which it does, frequently or always, after selecting update, delete the application to the recycle bin before selecting "save download as.."
    I've found that downloading it direct from the link you provided seems to be faster than using it's own update link. No idea why. It's only a 5 meg file, but it can take up to five min to download it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.