Problem Installing SpywareGuard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Telstar, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstar

Telstar Registered Member

Hi,
    Windows XP Home
    IE6/Firefox 0.8

For quite some time I noticed I was not getting any new updates for my SpywareGuard when I clicked on the Update. I decided to remove the old program and download a new SpywareGuard as a 'refresher".

Using Add/Remove I tried to remove the Program and was informed that all components could not be removed. Using Search I tried to delete what was found and, for example, sgbhp.exe v2.2.0.2 which I installed 8/29/03 cannot be deleted. I get the "Cannot Delete sgbhp: access is denied, make sure disk is not full......etc"

I tried downloading the latest version from the download site and, as recommended because I have Windows XP, tried to download the "minimal" setup.

In my Programs>SpywareGuard Folder are these files:

sgbhp.exe (8/29/30
    dlprotect.dll
    dlbdata1backup.dtb
    dlbdata2backup.dtb
    config.ini
    sglog.txt

I'm not sure what I can do at this point except use my System Restore but I thought it best to post here before doing anything else.

I can see that my Desktop Icons for SpywareGuard Update and the other for the SpywareGuard .exe have been removed.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Telstar

2. Telstar

UPDATE

Ok, might be ok now. I went back to Downloads and installed the v2.2 Full Setup. The installation went smoothly and after clicking on LiveUpdate the program received the updates.

I see in the Program Folder an unins000.dat file. I assume that by clicking on that I would receive or put into motion a clean uninstall of the SpywareGuard program if I ever wanted to remove it?

Which brings up the age old question....if a new version of SpywareGuard comes out would I uninstall the old version or can the newer version be installed over the old one?

Thanks,
    Telstar

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Telstar,

I prefer a clean uninstall followed by the installation of a new version, especially with products like SpywareGuard that run actively in memory all the time.

But, clean uninstall is the key here. I think the problem you had was that SpywareGuard was active and running, so the uninstall didn't get it all.

SpywareGuard can be disabled and exited, as is shown in the image in the first thread below. If for some reason you can't access the SG interface, there is a registry file (also contained in the links below) that can be used to disable it. Then you simply reboot your system and uninstall via Add/Remove Programs.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21527

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=23685

The active protection hooks into Windows Explorer, so using the registry file followed by a reboot ensures that the specific module does not get loaded. (The reboot is important there.)

4. Telstar

Thanks LowWaterMark, your information was very informative.
    Yep, makes sense to me now that indeed the Program was active and running when I tried to do the uninstall and this was prohibitive to that process.

I'll follow your advice and that found in your supplied links for the next new version installation.

Thank you,
    Telstar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.