Problem installing kaspesrsky Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me, i have downloaded a trial of
    Kaspersky antivirus pro and have got a trial key file from here

http://www.avp.ch/E/dlwin50.stm

But i am having problems installing it. As when i click on the key file i
    get an error message saying "Cannnot import <Filename> the specified file
    is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from
    within the registy editor".

I have tried both key files on the page with no luck.

I am using XP home with no service packs.

How do i install the key into the registry so i can trial the antivirus properly.

Thank you
    Anthony Goodman

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Don't double click on the key file. When installing the program, it should find the key file itself if it is at the same location as the setup. If it is in a different location, you should point to that location and the program handles the key file itself.

Good luck!!!

Putin

3. AnthonyG

Its still not working. The file is a registry file, i click on it, it says do you wish to install, i click it again the error comes up

Please help

Attached Files:

• ddd.jpg
      ddd.jpg
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Benvan45

The key file is probably corrupt, try to get another one.

But as I said before.....don't click on it, the program itself needs the location of the key file and imports it!!!!! When asked for, just point to the location and select it......that's it, don't click!!!!

Good luck......Putin

5. AnthonyG

Hi, i have now in the wait tried about six different kaspersky registering key files i have found on the net all the same reply. I dont think all six are corrupt i think its something wrong with my computer

Any help would be greatly appreciated

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Anthony1uk,

Just to make sure I understand how you are doing this..., from the main window (now that KAV is installed but doesn't have a key), you click the support tab, select the entry "License Keys" on the left side of the window, select Add, and then navigate to the key file you wish to install, correct? It's not a who lot different on installation (except that the front end of the process isn't there).

Also, use the key file that came with whatever download you are trying to use.

Blue

7. AnthonyG

No, im not doing that im just clicking on the registry file on the desktop. I cant see a support tab in kaspersky though. Im lost, they should make this program easier to use.

Attached Files:

• 778.jpg
      778.jpg
      File size:
      66.2 KB
      Views:
  8. AnthonyG

Dont worry fixed it, (i think) i read on the kaspersky FAQ that you have to cut and paste the registry file into the common shared folder. I thought you just clicked on it.

9. Benvan45

Twice I told you not to click on it.......and you still click on it and it isn't working, you just wonder why?

But.....you fixed it and that's what counts now!

Have fun with Kaspersky.

Greetings,
    ;)
    Putin

10. AnthonyG

Thanks but you dont have to get touchy about it, im only an idiot when it comes to computers you know so i didnt know what to do and it was only when BlueZannetti gave a fully descriptive detailed answer on what to do did i figure it out.

What made it worse was i have had files before that reqister products by clicking on a reg file and i thought it was the same (it certainly looked the same as one of them). I couldnt find inside kaspersky a place to register so that made it worse. That program is one difficult to fathom out and i guess its designed for people cleaver'er that me so i if i attempt to stick with it i will be asking a lot of silly/simple questions. All you tech experts have to do is be a bit forgiving and patient with me .

But thanks for your help on the matter, i appreciate it.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I am glad you got it fixed Anthony.
    when i installed Kaspersky on my brothers computer, the regfile he got was as you describe it one you clicked on and that was it. It also created a keyfile you can save to a floppy for use if and when you need to reinstall again.
    All you have to do is ask, this is Wilders. ;) Seriously, yes Kav 4.5 can seem a bit daunting at first, but just keep at it and you will soon come to appreciate the configurability of the beast. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.