Problem installing Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by needleseye, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needleseye

needleseye Registered Member

Hi

I just bought Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation upgrade. I installed the Acronis licence server and entered the key. When I attempt to install the program, I get a message stating "There are no licence keys on the specified Acronis licence server". This is not true. I can see the key on the server. I don't have a firewall. Please help!!

2. gejfay

gejfay Registered Member

I have the exact same problem. The licensing server takes the license. All other components can't find it.

See my earlier post on Acronis Backup and Recovery Install problem.
    No one has responded to that post. Are you surprised!!!

Did you install the license on the Workstation you are doing the install from?

Is this an upgrade from an installed Acronis True Image Echo workstation on that machine?

3. dazone

dazone Registered Member

That install is not exactly user friendly, and there's not much in the way of docs. You need to also install the S/Ns for the old version you upgraded from. Login to acronis web site, goto registered products, click on "Get all serials", then have license manager import from that file.

Chuck

4. gejfay

gejfay Registered Member

You were right. Uploaded the Echo Workstation Serial.txt created on the Acronis Web site and now all is WAD.

I've wasted hours woking on this. The information on the Web site is absolutely horrible.

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. gejfay

gejfay Registered Member

Universal Restore for B&R will not install. Same issue no valid license

I've loaded the Universal Restore License from Echo Workstation

I do not have a license for B&R universal restore even though I went thru the free upgrade process for those with an AMPS Key.

Any solution here?

6. needleseye

Thanks for the help!

7. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Yep, same here. No valid license in the License Server. Or "incorrect serial number" if I try to manually enter it.

Maybe this is intentional programming, but I noticed that the License Server formats the license key differently from that which gets downloaded from the My Account Page "Get All Serials" link.

Get all serials (as wells as numbers sent to me by Aconis Support in quest of solving this issue) are formatted like this:

XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX

8 groupings of 8 alphanumeric chars. Total, with dashes, of 71 chars.

The License Server changes this to:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX

12 groupings of 5 alphanumeric chars and 1 grouping of 4 chars at the end. Total, with dashes of 76 chars.

When I have tried entering the serial number manually, instead of using the License Server, it won't accept 76 chars. If I enter it as downloaded/emailed (ie 71 chars, it tells me the license key is incorrect).

Email support tries to tell me to download the "correct version" - even provides me a separate link to a separate 270mb download instead of the lame 3.5 mb "pre-installer" (that wants to download every item every time separately as it installs, even when each of the individual component msi install files have already been downloaded). Copy/pasting or even manually typing in the license keys does not activate the <NEXT> button (which stays greyed out) - alternately, trying to manually type in the License Server formatted version of the key doesn't work because that format is too long (so it may be an intentionally programmed formatting change, I don't know). Whatever it is, this thing won't install. When using the License Server to install, using the 3.5 mb installer to download everything (again) it gets to the AcronisWinAgent, starts to install, gets down to nearly completing and rolls it back with an install failure - the install log says "license was not acquired with error 2." (i.e. the license key that is installed within the License Server - see this page for analyzing the msi install log - http://kb.acronis.com/content/1647).

Top this off and all the installers I have tried are all just labelled "Acronis Backup & Recovery 10" with NO indication of "Advanced" or "Standalone" Workstation in the screen titles. Supposedly, the links I have been provided at the My Account page or by direct email support are for the "Advanced" but how the heck would you ever tell from their installer screens, which give a version number but no indication of Advanced or Standalone Workstation in the screen titles?

Let the retail Beta Testing continue....

EDIT: Just saw this page: http://kb.acronis.com/content/2963

:shrug:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  8. dazone

dazone Registered Member

I couldn't get the upgrade process on their web site to work either. Diud online chat with support, and they fixed me up with the new S/Ns. Acronis really needs to fix this mess before they lose a lot of customers. I've been a sysadmin for years, so I'm used to difficult/buggy installs, I can only imagine what it's like for an average user.

Chuck

9. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Just further notes. I am upgrading (trying to anyways) from Echo Workstation Build 8353. I have tried importing the "Get all serials" license keys to the installed ABR10 License Server. They seem to import fine and are all listed. However, neither the Advanced or Standalone "AcronisAgentWindows.msi", 3.5mb installer from My Accounts page, or full 270mb downloaded installer recognize the installed License Server keys. And, as noted earlier, trying to manually enter them doesn't work either.

Of course, the odyssey began with a separate support issue in getting the ABR10 upgrade keys for the My Account page in the first place. Then come to find out that none of the provided keys work.

Finally decided to try an ABR10 trial key. Wonders-of-wonders, the FREE, cripple-ware trial key installed flawlessly using the original "AcronisAgentWindows.msi" downloaded from the 3.5mb installer at the My Accounts page for ABR10 Advanced WS.

But, of course, there is no easy way to simply convert the Trial version to a paid, licensed version by manually entering or pointing to a registered license key or by grabbing it from the installed License Server. Won't even work trying to reinstall over itself using Licensed Keys (rollback-itis, no license found or can't acquire), won't activate <NEXT> button on manual entry of supposedly valid License Keys or "incorrect key".

I have been working with computers since 1982. I don't think I have experienced such a bollocksed piece of work as this ... "upgrade" (and I use the term loosely) with its licensing keys issue(s). I have also been using TI (both WS and Home versions) since around version 8 or 9, I forget, with narry a problem.

Really bizarre. Free version: flawless install. Qualified (paid AMPS) "upgrade": flawed keys.

Language issues with support are not helpful, either. What is THIS (direct quote from my last support email) supposed to mean:

"As you have mentioned that the serial Key issued is not accepted, I would request you to download the right product from your account and install it.

You have Acronis Backup&Recovery Advanced Workstation Upgrade Upgrade and Acronis Backup&Recovery Advanced Workstation Upgrade ...."

o_O So much for technological precise language.

Oy vey. o_O

Also, as mentioned earlier, installer screens only say "Acronis Backup & Recovery 10" and you don't know precisely which edition you have downloaded (Advanced or Standalone) until you get into the install procedure to see which options are, or are not, available. File names are, likewise, unhelpful in clearly stating what you have.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  10. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Trying to install a licensed version of ABR10 over the Trial version, or trying to install a licensed Universal Restore with the Trial version produces some sort of "SKU" not found license key error for both. All license keys I have been issued by Acronis ("My Account" page, "Get all serials") from all versions are installed, viewable, and listed as available form the License Server.

From the msi install log:

"Action ended 8:07:51: InstallValidate. Return value 1.
    MSI (s) (2C:1:cool: [08:07:51:396]: Doing action: CheckSerial_CustomAction
    Action start 8:07:51: CheckSerial_CustomAction.
    MSI (s) (2C:1:cool: [08:07:51:400]: Note: 1: 2235 2: 3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'CheckSerial_CustomAction'
    MSI (s) (2C:D4) [08:07:51:441]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB196.tmp, Entrypoint: MsiMultiCheckSerial
    1: MSIGEN:MsiMultiCheckSerial: Started!
    1: MSIGEN:MsiMultiCheckSerial: Execution in user context started.
    1: MSIGEN:MsiMultiCheckSerial: use_ls = true
    1: MSIGEN:Check serial number through the license server: Check Mode.
    1: MSIGEN:CheckSkuOnLicenseServer for SKU 'Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation Universal Restore' return status 2
    1: MSIGEN:Error: Selected sku '' is not found.
    Action ended 8:07:52: CheckSerial_CustomAction. Return value 3.
    Action ended 8:07:52: INSTALL. Return value 3."

Similar license key issues reported (tho' I don't think they were SKU-related, just license not acquired or similar) when attempting a straight upgrade from Echo Workstation to ABR10 (trying both Advanced & Standalone) without ever having messed with the Trial version beforehand.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  11. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Finally solved this thing on my own (no thanks to English-challenged support) and got the Windows Agent (AcronisWindowsAgent.msi) to install on my laptop but ONLY if the License Server was installed remotely on my home workgroup desktop connection. It gives licensing key errors if attempted to install from the License Server installed on the laptop (local machine) or if the key is manually entered (says "incorrect serial number).

But it did install when the key (including Universal Restore key) was installed to the desktop's License Server.

Customer Support would not, still will not, "downgrade" me to just the Standalone version, insisting that the Advanced version will install "just like the standalone" on a local machine. NOT! At least not for me (after spending 5 days trying to get this sorted out). All I need is the simplicity of Echo Workstation with Universal Restore, which I assume would be the equivalent of ABR10 Standalone Workstation, but looks like I'm never gonna know!

It's more than ridiculous that users weren't/aren't given the simple CHOICE to upgrade Echo Workstation to either Advanced or Standalone on the My Account page based on their needs.

12. needleseye

Amen, I want a refund!!!! I'm telling ALL of my associates not to buy this product. I used to recommend Acronis to my clients for their backup needs. I will no longer be doing this.

13. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Customer Service finally "downgraded" me to ABR10 Standalone (I was nervous about it since I had Advanced already finally installed and working). Uninstalled ABR10 Advanced and took the plunge. Took 3-4 attempts but finally got Standalone installed. At least I didn't encounter the ridiculous serial number issues.

However, I found it (Standalone) would not install with the default "add new credentials" or account or however it's worded, which should have created an Acronis Agent User service with only the admin backup permissions assigned (see User Guide). I had to change it to a specific account (my own admin sign-on since I'm the only user). Also changed from "current user" to "all users who share this machine" - it's possible that only one or the other and not both had to be changed but I've had my fill of Retail Beta testing and changed both at the same install time. Anyway, it worked.

But, of course, I then find all my backup tasks from the prior Advanced install are no longer present. I did a backup just prior to uninstalling Advanced and installing Standalone and am waiting a response from customer service on which directories/files I can restore in order to get my tasks listings back (IF I can, at all). Naturally, the upgrade tool wouldn't work since I no longer had Echo Workstation around, even though the tasks are still there; I just don't feel like wading through the complex command line building of the arcane dos upgrade tool to see if I can do it manually - you'd think Acronis would have a File Menu>Import/Export command for this stuff by now! DOS VB scripts; gimme a break.

And, last but not least, Universal Restore installation was broken as reported in another thread or two here. Even though I installed it (serial numbers and all!) from the initial Standalone installation, when I went to the Bootable Media Builder it indicated that U.R. was NOT installed. <sigh> Back to the main installer to EXTRACT the individual MSI installers and a) run the AcronisUniversalRestore.msi file to first REMOVE U.R. and then b) to run the AcronisUniversalRestore.msi file yet another time to ... you got it ... INSTALL U.R. again. Back to Bootable Media Builder again and finally, this time, also as reported in another thread, U.R. is indicated as installed and media will be created with the function to restore to dissimilar hardware.

Acronis really has done a pretty neat job with the User Interface facelift and all. But they should never have sent this product to retail with these ridiculous unresolved Beta-type installation and usability issues outstanding. It is so much more complicated than Echo Workstation. It looks like the help file/user guide is much more expanded than formerly and has pretty good coverage of backup schemes and so forth. And it does appear to get the job done as well if not better than it's predecessor (although I can't say for sure since I personally haven't yet actually committed a system restore to a go condition under this version).

But what a mess to install this build.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

I would like to share the common issues (or mistakes) that you can face using License server and advanced versions of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10.

- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Console and/or Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent must be installed before installing Acronis Universal Restore on the same machine.
    - If you have an Upgrade license, please make sure that you added the serial numbers for the previous version of Acronis True Image as well as the serial numbers for Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Upgrade.
    - The licenses must be of the same localized version.
    - The installed product and Acronis Universal Restore must be of the same build.
    - The serial number for the advanced version differs from the serial number for the standalone version.
    - Please make sure that you are trying to install Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent to the supported operating system, otherwise the license will not be accepted.

We created several articles concerning the encountered issue:

Installing Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Universal Restore

Acronis Universal Restore is Grayed Out during Installation of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Small Business Server Edition/Virtual Edition

Installation of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent for Windows, etc.

We update our database very frequently, please check the respective articles for more information.

Also you can contact our Live chat service on this page, under Contact us click on the Start here button and follow the step-by-step guide.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.