problem getting rule to work

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by nick s, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi all,

I was playing with a rule to restrict access to the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot key and cannot get it to work. The rule is isolated in its own group and all other groups are disabled. I get no alerts when I add keys or modify values using regedit. The APO list is empty. Am I missing something obvious in the wildcards?

Thanks,

Nick

Attached Files:

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Nick,
    Have you tried monitoring whilst you make your changes ?

And something you might find useful is to do a copy on the rule (^C) that copies the rule as text for easy pasting into a post and it allows other people to easily paste it in to try it out...

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Nick,
    Looks like an unintended RD feature...
    If I use the actual location rather than the link (currentcontrolset) I get the alert

Try this rule, it gives an alert for me
    Code:
    hkey_local_machine\system\controlset*\control\safeboot* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    The alert I got was
    Code:
    regedit.exe [2668] was allowed to set this value to cmd.exi | 14:56:45 - 26 May 2005 | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\controlset004\control\safeboot | alternateshell | c:\windows\regedit.exe | !! TEST
    regedit.exe [2668] was allowed to set this value to cmd.exe | 14:56:50 - 26 May 2005 | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\controlset004\control\safeboot | alternateshell | c:\windows\regedit.exe | !! TEST

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

You'll need to add both (currentcontrolset and controlseto_O), simply because malware could use both. :)

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi gottadoit,

Works here too :). I see what you mean.

Thanks,

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.