Problem formatting flash drive

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by amajamar, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amajamar

amajamar Registered Member

I am trying to partition and format a 2 GB flash drive. I split it into two 1 GB drives (with HDM 2010) and one is active and bootable and contains my UBD4WIN install and the second partition I was going to use as storage for other files.

However, HDM 2010 is having a problem formatting the unformatted partition, each time coming back with an "Invalid Partition ID" when rebooting to complete the process outside of Windows.

I also tried formatting with Win Xp but it also is erroring out when attempting to format the remaining space.

I am new to HDM, so I don't know any "tricks"!

Thanks in advance!

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Can you post screen of Windows Disk Manager where your flash drive is shown here:
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * click 'PrintScreen' key on the keyboard to capture the screen into the Windows Clipboard;
    * paste the image and save it as JPG, GIF or PNG file;
    * attach it to your reply.

And post LOG files from HDM too:
    *reproduce the error
    * find LOG files: "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" in "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program"
    * add them to your reply.

3. amajamar

amajamar Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, Mech An. I believe that I have determined the problem. After some internet research, I found somewhere on the Microsoft site that Windows can't/won't recognize multiple partitions on USB flash drives. That is why, even though HDM can partition the space and format and resize the primary active partition, the unallocated space can't be formatted and assigned a drive letter.

The link to the MS answer is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

Thanks again for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.