problem fixing and using mbrautowrite_exe

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TJH, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJH

TJH Registered Member

A couple of days ago I posted about problem with code Acronis wrote to my mbr and received this response from Ilya Toytman at Acronis.
    ------------------------------------------
    Hello TJH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputin...ucts/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please try to fix MBR, unplug all your data disks,aactivate Acronis startup Recovery Manager and plug the drives again. To fix MBR please insert a diskette into the floppy drive and run the file available by the link below:

http://www.acronis.com/files/suppor...utowrite_en.exe

Once the floppy is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman
    -----------------------------------------------
    My problem is that I can't figure out how to run this mbrautowrite_en.exe file once I downloaded it. It is just too big to fit on one 1.44 MB floopy. If I use a bootable floopy disk and boot to my a drive all would be fine it this file would just fit on a floopy drive. After I boot to a drive I can't seem to change to my C: drive or any other drive. When I type C: and hit enter I just get the old "imvalid drive spec" --- that's about what it says. I can't remember exactly. I would sure like to get this fixed because I am leaving town early tomorrow for a week.

Tim

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Run the file with a blank floppy in drive A. That file makes the floppy that you then boot from. (You don't try to copy the file onto a floppy, it creates the floppy)

3. TJH

TJH Registered Member

These are the instructions that you posted. I have tried to understand exactly what you want me to do but still have not fixed my problem. I did execute the exe file and it did create a floopy disk. I booted to that disk and hit enter. It seemed to do it's thing. Then I tried to boot form my boot drive that I just fixed. Now it went a bit further and windows did start to load but hung at the point just before it asks for my password. It just locked up on the blue Windows screen with no start button or place to click to log on. All I could do was restore both partitions on my boot disk from an image I made a few days ago. That worked but now I have the same problem still. I can boot up and into windows but only if I leave all 4 hard drives connected to my system. If I remove even one of them then the system locks just after bios and before windows even starts to boot. I can't see the point in using the floopy that I tried earlier again. Could you please be more clear? These are the instructions you sent.

----------------------------
    Please try to fix MBR, unplug all your data disks,aactivate Acronis startup Recovery Manager and plug the drives again. To fix MBR please insert a diskette into the floppy drive and run the file available by the link below:

http://www.acronis.com/files/suppor...utowrite_en.exe

Once the floppy is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.
    --------------------------------------
    I am leaving town early tomorrow and will get back to this in a week when I return. I sure can't be stuck having to run my pc with these same combination of HDs installed at all times. What is going on?

Tim

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tim,

It seems that some system files are stored onto your other disks and Windows cannot boot without them. Please find where you have the paging file (please open "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "System" -> "Advanced", click on the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section, choose "Advanced" tab and press the "Change" button to see where the page file is stored).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.