Problem during auto reboot when trying to create a disc image

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Gingernut, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingernut

Gingernut Registered Member

Problem during auto reboot when trying to create a disc image - Fixed!

Hello - any help much appreciated.

I'm using Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Express on Windows Vista. I wish to create an image backup of my entire HDD.

I plug in my USB portable HDD (target) and start up the program. I select the backup option, I select my PC's HDD as the source and then select the external HDD as the destimation of the backup image. That kicks off and after a few seconds prompts a reboot to gain exclusive access to files. I reboot. Now this is where the problems begin...

The first time I did this, the reboot came up with "bootmgr not found". Eventually, I realised that the system was attempting to boot from the empty external USB HDD. Anyway, eventually I managed to get my PC back up again after going through a few "system recovery/restore" type warnings and prompts.

OK, so I then changed the boot sequence to move USB HDD after the internal HDD.

I then tried the Paragon process again. Again when Paragon initiated the reboot, I hit a problem. this time not the bootmgr missing message, but some kind of Windows needs repairing message. Again I managed to get my PC back up after a little while.

Next I moved USB FDC and USB KEY to after USB HDD in the boot sequence, so that now only the optical drice precedes the internal HDD.

I then tried the Paragon process again - same result, but thankfully I was able to have Windows repair itself.

So now I am stumped. I can restart my PC any number of times and it comes up OK, but when a restart is initiated within Paragon, it fails.

Anyone got any ideas what is going on? I have taken a folder to folder copy of my important stuff now, but I really want an image that can be used for a full restore.

--------------------------
    I downloaded, installed and started Backup & Restore 10. This program does not require a reboot to create the HDD image, thus avoiding the circumstances that caused my original problem.

So I guess I'm sorted now.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hi Gingernut,

I'm glad your problem is resolved with BR10. There shouldn't be any reason for a restart to be required when running the backup. Next time, when you get the screen with options "Restart" or "Retry" click the hyperlink below and find out what processes or services that's preventing the operation.

3. tylersmith

tylersmith Registered Member

I am having the same problems. When I click on the hyperlink to see what processes are causing a problem I get a blank screen.

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Tylersmith,

Try switching to Paragon Hot Processing found in Tools > Settings. We want to narrow down what's the preventing factor first by testing if VSS is conflicted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.