Problem deleting image,

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by badger, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badger

badger Registered Member

Can you help please.
    I made an image of C drive onto my internal Drive F using Acronis TI 10.
    I wanted to make a new image on the same drive and therefore wanted to delete the original image. I received a message "Cannot delete ...... Access is denied.Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."
    In desperation I tried to format the whole drive,but I could not format it either.
    I am using XP Home SP 2.

Thanks Badger.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I've seen someone else report something like this before ... search the forum for "cannot delete" and see what comes up.

3. dld

dld Registered Member

Instead of trying to delete the image file, try to just overwrite it. In other words choose to create an image with the same name as the image you want to ovewrite. You will be warned that you already have an image by that name. Just accept to ovewrite it.

4. badger

badger Registered Member

DwnNdrtyThanks.That was the first thing I did,but could not find anything relevant.
    dld Thank you for your advice. I do not feel inclined to make another image on F drive, if I am unable to delete it, even if I do not have to,as suggested by you. I feel there must be something amiss.
    Can anyone shed any light as to why this is, and why I unable to format the drive. Thanks Badger

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello badger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you have all necessary permissions to manage the archive file. Please also make sure that the file is not being accessed by other applications (for example, antivirus software). You can also try booting into Windows safe mode and deleting the image from there.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. badger

badger Registered Member

I have been away and only got back today and saw the reply to my query.
    I am the sole user of this computer and have all the necessary permisions to manage an achive file. I have deleted Image files many many times in the past but not from this inernal drive. I usually make my bckups onto an external HDD.
    Why or how would the file be accessed by another application? I could not even format the hard drive.
    I would appreciate your help, as already stated,I am reluctant to make an other image. Thank you. Badger.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello badger,

Please notice that it's possible that the drive has errors. Please run "chkdsk /r" on the drive in question. Make sure it reports no errors.
    Please clarify, did you try deleting the image from Windows safe mode?

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you for your offer of help. I have done a scandisk and no errors reported. This was,of course ,after I had formatted,so perhaps not a true test.
    I cannot remember,if I tried to delete the file in safe mode. I was able to format the drive in safe mode,so got rid of it that way.
    I may try again to make an image on this internal drive, but at the moment, the experience has put me off doing so.
    Thanks again for your help. Badger.

9. Thamuz

Thamuz Registered Member

badger,

If you were able to delete the file in safe mode then it would appear that the TI services were preventing the deletion of the file. Next time try stopping the TI services and then deleting the *.tib

10. badger

badger Registered Member

Sorry to be thick. Can you tell me how I stop the TI services Please. Thanks Badger.

11. Mediaman

Mediaman Registered Member

I would try the following (next time you get into this problem):

1) First - just a simple one - if you right click on the file, and go to Properties, does it have a read-only attribute? If yes, bingo. Uncheck it and delete. If not, it could be some other hidden service ( eg anti-virus, internet security etc ) that is acessing the file....read on:

2) Look in the task bar, and shut down services, especially anti-virus, and select to NOT load on startup.

3) Go to Start / Run / MSCONFIG / Startup and deselect all the optional services that you recognize. If the name of the items in not intuitive, you can typically identify the function by looking at the Command column. When you are done, select ok and reboot.

4) After the reboot, can you delete the file now? Can you copy it?

5) Are you using Norton for anything? Sometimes it just takes too much control. They have a free download - Norton Removal tool on thier web site. Does wonders to fix problems!

6) Use Acronis to create an image with the same name ( ie overwrite the image), then try to delete it.

7) if it still cannot be deleted, reboot in Safe Mode. Then try to delete.

:cool: if you at the stage where you are prepared to reformat (but cant), then another option is to use some admin tools (on Vista its Computer Management/Disk Management) to delete and create partitions and volumes.

12. badger

badger Registered Member

MEDIMAN Thank you very much for your help. I have printed out your instructions and will use them , if and when I get into trouble again. I do not use Norton.
    I do appreciate your help Badger.

13. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

another handy utility for locked files is unlocker:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

although it might not be what's need for this particular case. This sounds more like a messed up file or file table entry.

15. badger

badger Registered Member

Catfan 432 and shieber Thanks you very much for that useful information. Badger.

16. Thamuz

Thamuz Registered Member

Click start, run, type services.mcs.

When the MMC console opens, on the right hand side highlight any service that begins with Acronis and click the stop button in the task bar. You will have to stop each Service inividually.

17. badger

badger Registered Member

Thamuz Thank you very much. Saved for future reference. Badger.

18. Thamuz

Thamuz Registered Member

My Pleasure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.