Problem copying Primary Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Installed Windows (clean install), then FDISR and made a couple of snapshots - one for testing software, another a copy of my Primary Snashot, etc.

I then installed programs, restored backups, etc. Now, when I go to copy my Primary Snapshot, I get 4 errors. The error log simply says 'Copied x files, etc, and then 'Errors 4', and that's it - no info about the errors.

The strange thing is that if I make a copy of my Primary Snapshot as an Archive to another drive, I get no errors. Why could this be? I've never had errors copying snapshots before. In fact, I've never had any FDISR problems before.

Also, copying another snapshot is fine, it's only my Primary Snapshot that causes errors.

I know that I have an archive as backup, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar with their Primary Snapshot only?

Very confusing.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Re: Problem copying Primary Snashot

FDISR doesn't like any automatic defragging, if you have that running, turned it OFF. This is a must.

FDISR has also problems with certain security softwares, but I don't know which ones. Processguard is certainly one of them.
    I don't need to know which security softwares cause problems, because I got rid of this problem once and for all with my off-line snapshot, which has no security softwares.

My suggestions :
    Delete your primary snapshot and create it again and try it again.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. mrfargoreed

Hey ErikAlbert!

I've no automatic defragging - I disabled inactive defragging when creating my Windows nLited disc. I use PerfectDisk as I know that it is compatible with FDISR.

My security software (which has never caused me problems before) is Comodo firewall, NOD32, SuperAntiSpyware, Peerguardian, and that's about it.

Oh, I also have HideFoldersXP. Could this have caused the problem? Surely FDISR can copy hidden files, too? It's never happened before, and as I said, it copies the same snapshot into an Archive perfectly - it just won't copy it as a snapshot for some reason.

Also, if I defrag my Primary Snapshsot with PD (doing an offline defrag of the system files, too), surely I can still copy it? Or is it the fact that I HAVE done an offline defrag causing the trouble?

Thanks for your help :thumb: . The one problem I have is that I have just restored all the settings on my primary snapshot, so to delete it I might as well do a clean Windows install and start again. Nightmare :eek:

4. ErikAlbert

OK.
    If you have an archived primary snapshot,
    1. Copy/update from archived primary snapshot to a new snapshot, but give it another name and try with this new snapshot what didn't work.
    2. If that new snapshot works, delete the old primary snapshot and rename the new snapshot with the same name of the old primary snapshot.

5. ErikAlbert

PerfectDisk is only a defragger and it would be unlogical that it caused this kind of problem.
    Some users disable their security softwares and try again what didn't work.

6. mrfargoreed

Ok ErikAlbert - it makes sense. I will give it a go later today and report back. Many thanks for your help. :thumb:

7. ErikAlbert

No sweat. Keep us posted, because we all like to know when something doesn't work.

8. ErikAlbert

mrfargoreed,
    After re-reading your posts, I noticed you installed your computer with a customized "Windows Installation CD".
    In theory, nothing wrong with that, I'm also looking at nLite, but didn't use it yet in practice.

BUT once you go that way, your Windows is NOT the original Windows anymore and problems might occur sooner or later, because Windows is a very complicated OS with millions of code.
    So you have to do this at your OWN risk and if problems occur, you have to realize that other users can't help you anymore because you have ANOTHER (crippled) Windows.

Saying "I never had problems with it before" doesn't mean anything, because Windows is TOO complicated and nobody knows what is allowed and what is not allowed to change Windows, except Microsoft.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  9. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I Have nlited my OS and have no problems with FDISR.

Below is a screeny of the services that i have running.

Attached Files:

10. Coff

Coff Registered Member

It's possible that the errors are false, particularly as you were able to copy the Primary snapshot to an Archived snapshot on an external drive without any errors.

When you say, "The error log simply says 'Copied x files, etc, and then 'Errors 4', and that's it - no info about the errors." Have you actually looked inside the log file. Go into Tools/View Activity Log. Identify the log and click on the plus sign. You should find details of the errors there.

Identify the files which supposedly haven't been copied then have a look in the copy of your Primary to see if the files have in fact been copied. You don't need to boot to the copy of your Primary just use XYplorer. Browse to C:\$ISR\1 or 2 http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page22.html

When you are in XYplorer, if the files are in the copy of your Primary snapshot, you can check the hashes from the right click menu using HashTab to make sure they are the same as the files in your Primary http://www.beeblebrox.org/hashtab/

(I've never had errors when copying from an XP snapshot, touch wood, but on quite a few occasions I've had errors copying from a Win2K snapshot. On every occasion the errors were false.)

11. mrfargoreed

Ok, after much frustration and copying, I still have errors. I have used FDISR to:

export and import Primary Snapshot as an archive to another hard drive
    export and import Primary Snapshot as a snapshot to another hard drive
    export and import Primary Snapshot as an archive to same hard drive
    copied different snapshots to same hard drive

each time getting the same 4 errors:

03/28/2007 10:25:11 Error - DCF::BackupWrite: Access is denied.
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Windows error number 5
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Error - Adding "WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdmon.sys" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Adding "WINDOWS\system32\drivers\inspect.sys" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Error - DCF::BackupWrite: Access is denied.
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Windows error number 5
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Error - Adding "WINDOWS\system32\drivers\inspect.sys" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"
    03/28/2007 10:25:11 Adding "WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nod32drv.sys" to "Copy of Primary Snapshot"

ErikAlbert - I hear what you say regarding nLited versions of XP. I have been using nLite for a good year or so now without any previous errors with FDISR and nLited installations. I guess the only solution is to install Windows untouched and try copying (slow and painful).

Coff - Thanks for the info - managed to locate the error log file.

The problem I am now having is that I am now unable to copy ANY snapshots without errors. I can feel a new hard drive coming on :oops:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

12. ErikAlbert

mrfargoreed,
    I'm sorry it didn't work.
    I would try this :
    1. Uninstall FDISR, but keep the snapshots, the uninstaller allows you to do that. Reboot.
    2. Re-install FDISR. Reboot.
    3. Then try again what didn't work.

If that doesn't work, I'm running out of options.

Is your harddisk good ?
    I would run "chkdsk c: /f" also.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't think it is a hard drive problem. If it is these same files, I'd check and see what cmdmon.sys, and inspect.sys are associated with. I bet they are some security software protecting itself. Note when I do anything with FDISR I always disable KAV. You have some security software you need to disable.

Pete

14. mrfargoreed

ErikAlbert - reinstalled FDISR and still same errors :'(

Peter2150 - Disabled NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware. Apart from Comodo firewall I have no HIPS, etc running. Still getting errors.

I think all I can do is to re-format the hard drive with the manufacturers disc and reinstall. Zero-fill the thing back to its original state and try again - so time-consuming but it's the only thing I can think of left. I've no password-protected files, no software running that I don't normally have running, so it has to be something I have done setting up Windows. My nLited disc has no file-restriction tweaks (apart from disabling Windows File Protection, which I have always done in previous versions).

Ok (deep sigh) - thanks again guys. Back to the drawing board.

15. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Would it be possibe to start windows in safe mode, then manually start the necessary services for FDISR to run? At least this method may be a final troubleshooter.

16. Peter2150

I think Comodo may have been a problem,and Raxco may have a special copy engine for that. Try it and if disabling comodo solves your problem, contact Raxcdo support.

Pete

17. mrfargoreed

You're right Peter2150 - it was Comodo! Uninstalled and everything went perfectly, reinstalled and the same 4 'Acess Denied' errors.

Well, at least I (or should I say Peter2150) has discovered the problem. I feel relieved, but I DO like Comodo and want to keep using it, so looks like I'll be checking out Raxco's site for some info.

Many thanks to everyone on this.

18. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Try going to "Advanced" under Comodo's Security tab.
    Next go to "Miscellaneous" & uncheck the "Protect own registry keys and files from unauthorized modifications".

That will solve the errors.

19. mrfargoreed

Thanks KikiBibi - I will try this. Just trying to copy a snapshot just disabling Comodo. It worked when I uninstalled, but I don't want to do this every time I make a snapshot, so I have disabled it, and then I will also try your method and report back.

Cheers!!:thumb:

20. mrfargoreed

I can confirm that both disabling Comodo and unchecking the 'Protect own registry keys......' in Comodo's Advanced settings both worked. Obviously it's safer to simply do the latter, so a huge thanks for getting this problem solved.

:D :D

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Please don't forget there are also other very efficient software firewalls that can do you service and at the same time save you from encountering confusions like this. FD-ISR comes first in my book, if another software in some way adversely affects it's normal useage it's out-the-door.

Nothing is more important than to recover INSTANTLY from some serious problem to the normal operations of your good machine.

22. mrfargoreed

Couldn't agree more EASTER.2010. My setup revolves around FDISR. If software is incompatible with FDISR then I find something else - no messing, no doubting.

Thankfully, just by one little checkbox being unchecked before making a snasphot in Comodo, everything is ok. If it were too much hassle I would try another firewall, but it's a small price to pay for a few minutes whilst copying.

23. Peter2150

It wasn't me, I just remembered someone else had the same problem. Email Raxco support, as they might not have anything on the website.

Pete

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

25. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@mrfargoreed

Nice thread actually glad you solved your problem :)
    Adds to the kb for FRISR ;)

There have been various threads where FDISR has run across various, usually system drivers that have some anti-tamper/read only type protection that has resulted in copy errors.

Cant speak for the other resellers but Raxco for one has scrupulously addressed every isuue and afaik been able to solve it.

Even the VSS issue with ShadowProtect which was a BIGGIE.

Hopefully therewill be an update, which includes all these spot fires, from Leapfrog. I imagine a lot of effort is going into upgrading to Vista compatability atm.

LOL: I am just waiting for some software company to come out and say: "Nope, aint doing it; Blista is so hopeless we have decided to abandon any users foolish enough to go there" :D

Heh. Possibly commercial suicide??
    Maybe XP will be around long enough and the XP users will see off Blista and its' attendant snafus. That would be nice. Just skip an OS. ;)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.